Celebrity Edge Cruise Review

Amazing first Celebrity cruise!! I LOVE the Edge!!

Celebrity Edge Cruise Review by WrittenOnYourHeart

• Sail Date: Feb 2020
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Edge Single Veranda Stateroom

I've always been a big Disney fan and have usually cruised with them. However, not being a huge Marvel fan and not a Star Wars fan at all, their offerings during my Winter Break have been 3- or 4-night cruises and that's just too short. I had a chance while at Disney in the fall to speak with the owner of the travel agency I use about my musings, and she highly recommended I give the Edge a try, and I'm so glad I did!!

I typically cruise solo, and did on this. I'm 48, and I teach special education. This was my 14th cruise overall.

I flew into MIA the evening before my cruise and stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites Blue Lagoon. On Sunday morning, I got a Lyft to Port Everglades (around $40 with tip) and arrived just after 10.

Embarkation:

Smooth as silk! I'd done the online check-in on the Celebrity app and was sitting in the waiting area by about 10:20. The suite guests (and Zeniths) were boarding at the other end of the terminal as I was finishing my chat with the representative answering the health questions and verifying other things. Boarding started around 10:45 with Concierge, then Aqua, then Elite Plus, then Elite, and then Select (due to prior cruises on Royal Caribbean I had Select status). I was onboard with my welcome glass of bubbly by about 11.

I LOVED being able to drop my things off in my stateroom before exploring and getting some food!! It's great to not have to schlep everything around with you for a couple of hours!

The Ship:

BEAUTIFUL!!!! This ship is a work of art!! I particularly loved Eden - both during the day, where I found a favorite chair to curl up with a book and at night for the entertainment and chill vibe. The Rooftop Garden is super chill and a great place to just enjoy the outdoors and the acoustic musicians who played sets. They did have movies up there, but I was too busy doing other things to go to the movies. The Magic Carpet was a fun place to get a drink and a different view of things. The art around the ship is beautiful - though I did pass on the $139/single art tour.

Cabin:

I had a Single Stateroom with Infinite Veranda and LOVED it. It's not huge, but it is a bit bigger than the interior solo "studios" on other lines even without the Infinite Veranda. There were no drawers, but being a low-maintenance light packer, I was able to pull out my packing cubes and put them on the shelves and between that and the closet it was no problem. The bathroom was good-sized for a ship, and while I've never been "assaulted" by a cruise ship shower curtain, it was nice to have a glass door.

The Infinite Verandas are a subject of much debate, but I loved it. No, it doesn't stick out like a "regular" veranda would, but the French Doors with frosted glass can be left open to expand the cabin a bit. There was notice given in the daily planner when they would be locked by the bridge for cleaning, so anyone who did not know they would just showed that they do not read the information provided.

For me, this was just about the perfect cabin - I'm usually an ocean view girl as I always feel like if I have a veranda I HAVE to hang out on it to "get my money's worth". With the Infinite Veranda I had the best of both worlds - a fabulous ocean view with the ability to lower the window if I chose. And the fact that it is priced for a solo traveler - AND has an added bonus of a solid bed rather than two pushed together - makes it just about perfect for me!

Dining:

The Ocean View Cafe is a great cruise ship buffet! I loved that they made an effort with gluten-free desserts so that there were choices besides jello, ice cream, and mousse. They could be a little more consistent in their allergy labeling (the bakery section seemed to have one method while other areas had another), but I just learned "When in doubt, ask."

I did go to each of the 4 dining rooms (I had Select Dining and made reservations for each night at 6:30) and would rank them Tuscan, Cyprus, Cosmopolitan, ad Normandie. Service was excellent in each - I just preferred the decor and ambience in Tuscan the most. Cyprus was my biggest surprise as decor-wise it is probably the least impressive, but the food was outstanding!! The one weak point in the dining rooms is gluten-free dessert offerings: first, they are not marked, and second it skewed towards the ice cream/mousse thing. I often skipped dining room desserts and hopped up to the Ocean View for dessert.

The only extra fee restaurant I did was Eden, and while I was initially scared of the menu, this was probably the best meal I've had in my life. Everything about it was exquisite, and I've already made reservations for 2 upcoming cruises (spoiler alert: yes, I booked more!!).

Entertainment/Activities:

Living in NYC and being a big Disney fan, I'm very picky about my entertainment, but Celebrity came through! Their singers and dancers were fabulous in the main theater shows (I would have liked it if Kaleidoscope had followed through with the storyline it seemed like it was starting, but it was still great)!

I LOVED the show in Eden as well as the Q&A with some of the Edenists.

The smaller acoustic acts were amazing as well!

Service:

Excellent!! No complaints!!

Ports:

Key West was tons of fun. I chose to go skydiving with SkyDive Key West and had a blast!!!!

We missed Costa Maya due to a taxi driver strike and blockade. I'd booked at Maya Chan, and to their credit, they emailed me to say they would be refunding as we would not be docking before I even got a chance to email them!

Cozumel and Grand Cayman were great as well! I did the Adventure Jeep to Punta Sur Eco-Park in Cozumel and the Turtle Center with Island Tour ship-based excursions in Grand Cayman.

Other:

Captain Kate is superb! I love that she and the cruise director stand at the end of the gangway on debarkation to thank everyone and say good-bye!!

Would I go again?

I've got FOUR future cruises booked on Apex and will definitely go on Edge again if the schedule/price line up!

WrittenOnYourHeart's Full Rating Summary

Edge Single Veranda Stateroom

A cabin for a solo cruiser that actually opens to the outside?? YES PLEASE!!!! I adored this cabin. No, it's not huge, but it's just right for one person. If you're a heavy packer, do be aware that there are not drawers in the cabin. But I'm a light packer so between hanging things and sliding packing cubes into the shelves I was 100% fine!

Yes, the bridge has the ability to lock the infinite veranda in place, but if it is for cleaning, that IS announced in the daily planner delivered to your stateroom. In the event of weather they can also do it, but even on our final sea day which was windy, a little rainy, and with large waves that sometimes sent spray above the lifeboats (at the very base of the infinite veranda), they were not locked.

Bathroom was a good size with shelving and a large (by ship standards) shower with a glass door.

Already have this cabin booked for 4 upcoming cruises on Apex!!

Absolutely amazing!!! The base building is not much to look at (it's about a $40 Lyft from the Mallory Square area), but they are totally professional and make you feel so at ease! I jumped with Hank and he was wonderful!!

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Jeep Tour

We went to Punta Sur Eco-Park for snorkeling and beach time. Be aware that even if your sunscreen is reef safe and biodegradable they will collect it (they did let people lather up before turning their stuff in) before you take off. They say it's because none is allowed, though signage in the bathrooms at Punta Sur indicate biodegradable is ok, given the amount of regular Banana Boat bottles in the collection bag I'm guessing the guides have just found it easier to collect everyone's rather than deal with "But she got to keep hers" complaints. The area was beautiful and I plan to return!

View All 166 Jeep Tour Reviews
Costa Maya

We were not able to dock due to a taxi and bus driver strike and blockade at the port - for our safety Captain Kate made the call to skip. I'd booked with Maya Chan, and to their credit they emailed about refunds even before I could email them!

Island Tour

Nice and informative. Hell was interesting to see - though a 6 year-old got back on the bus and quipped "Well, Hell is boring!" which made everyone laugh.

View All 209 Island Tour Reviews
Turtle Farm

Booked as one excursion, it was awesome! Snorkeling with turtles was a dream come true!!!

View All 329 Turtle Farm Reviews