• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Excursions

MSC Meraviglia Review

Editor Rating
1 Award

Great ship but lacking in emergency medical care or compassion!

Review for MSC Meraviglia to the Caribbean
Ron from Smithtown
10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Oct 2019
Cabin: Fantastica Outside Stateroom

This cruise was a 13 day repositioning cruise to the Caribbean, from NYC to Miami & not the five day Canada cruise, as stated! We chose this cruise because it left from our home port of NYC, eliminating on air fare, plus the cost was low, i.e. $499. per person for an ocean view room!

The ship was opulent & the shows presented were beautifully staged, with the digitally changing backgrounds better than anything that I have seen in my 62 cruises!

However, my estimate of MSC cruises changed on Nov. 7th when my wife experienced a heart attack on board! After spending a day in the ship's somewhat limited infirmary, & a $1,800. fee, we were forced to leave the ship on the island of Jamaica ( an originally unscheduled port) & taken to a "third world" very poorly equipped clinic/hospital in Montego Bay, for two days of observation & care! (only 2 days before cruises end!)

Fantastica Outside Stateroom

This ship ( the fourth largest in the world) with some 5100 passengers has cut some corners with their cabin sizes. Somehow, they have figured out how to cut more space out of the already cramped spaces of conventional cabins.

The bathroom has a shower that has a glass door, when closed, would not allow any even slightly obese person to use! My guess is that since Europeans made this ship, they did not remember that heavier Americans would be on board. Also, the sink top was the smallest that I have ever seen, not allowing for any bathroom articles to be stored.

The room was ultra compact, with the television unable to turned & seen from the entire room easily! My relative was in a balcony room & theirs was no larger!

Port Reviews

New York (Manhattan)

Since we have cruised out of NYC many times, we knew what to expect & we found that this experience was average to other cruise lines. No complaints!

St. Maarten

Been there many times, just walked around town!

1 Helpful Vote