3. Carnival Valor
Embarkment was a breeze. We choose a later time slot of 1:00 and were on the boat by 1:15. We got in our room for 1:30 and noticed that our bed was not two twins as we requested, but a king. Awkward for two friends traveling together, but our stateroom steward corrected the problem by dinner. We choose anytime dining and had no problem getting in any night. We found a great server on our second night, Noel, and requested to sit in his section for the rest of the trip. The excursion we booked in Cozumel was cancelled. The bright side, money was refunded to our Sail and Sign card and we spent the day shopping in Cozumel. We were the only ship in port, and it was a Monday, so there weren’t many crowds at all. In fact, we returned to the ship to eat lunch, and then went back out in the port. We really enjoyed our excursion in Progreso. We did a tour of the Dzibilchatltun ruins, lunch at a Mayan restaurant, and a tour of Merida city. It was great and worth taking. It felt like getting two or three excursions in one. We attended two of the three productions and they were fun. The comedians were very funny, and we enjoyed the comedy shows. We attended the sea day brunches and both times the food was good, but the staff wasn’t very personable. The food on the Lido deck was what you would expect. It was always very crowded during mealtimes. We did make reservations with the Chef’s Table, and that was amazing. We were given a tour of the galley, had four amuse bouches in the kitchen, learned how to make chocolate melting cake from the pastry chef, and then enjoyed an eight-course meal with an exclusive group of 9 guests. Wine was paired with each course and we received a photo of the group and a copy of the melting cake recipe at the end of the evening. If you are a foodie, it’s definitely a lot of fun. My friend is not a foodie and I made her come with me. She enjoyed the company but did not like the food. We were the cruise that was diverted to the Port of Mobile due to Hurricane Barry. They made the announcement around dinner time and the entire mood of the ship deflated. We were told that bus transportation would be provided back to New Orleans. I think they could have done a better job explaining how that would work. Disembarkment was a mess. They started with the lower decks but didn’t monitor it and within an hour it became a free-for-all of everyone trying to get off the boat. The staff at the Port of Mobile that had to show up on their day off were very friendly and accommodating and the buses were loading quickly. The bus ride back was fine, but there was a complete lack of organization at the Port of New Orleans. The guests for the next cruise were arriving to the port way too early and we had no place to get out of the buses. There wasn’t parking for the new guests because we weren’t back yet to move our cars. We literally sat in traffic a few blocks from the port for at least 45 minutes. I think Carnival needs to come up with a better emergency plan for the future because this did not work. On a positive note, the captain did an amazing job minimizing the motion of the ship. Even when we were traveling through rough seas, he kept the motion to a minimum. My friend traveled on the Glory six months ago and raved most of the trip about how much smoother this cruise was. The staff of this ship was very friendly and we were addressed by name frequently. TJ the cruise director was very energetic and fun. This was his second to last sailing on the Valor. He mentioned he's moving to a 7 day cruise out of Galveston. I've seen many great reviews about him, and he lived up to the hype.

Fun until disembarkment time

Carnival Valor Cruise Review by sgomez35

sgomez35’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Valor price drops

Balcony
Cabin 8C 8257
Joanna, our cabin steward, did an excellent job cleaning our room. The temperature of the room was very warm. Maintenance checked it on our third day and it seemed to cool down a little afterwards. The cabin next door mentioned they were uncomfortable too. Basically, I didn't need more than a sheet at night to sleep. Of course, it was July, but I thought it should be much cooler than it was. The noise in the hallway did get loud later in the evenings when people were returning to their rooms. This room is right next to the stairway and elevators. So it's a great location, but that was an issue I noticed. I brought a mini fan with me and that did well drowning out the noise. The balcony was excellent and I spent lots of time sitting outside and relaxing. Balcony rooms are the way to go!
Verandah Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins