3. Carnival Valor
Prior to this cruise I had not cruised on the Valor Before, however I did cruise on the Pre Inaugural sailing of her older sister the Carnival Spirit. I was somewhat concerned by others commenting that the ship is showing its age. Upon boarding I did a quick ship inspection and I was very impressed. The ship is not new, but with that said I found the floors, furniture, and ships interior all to be in excellent condition. Also we had two cabins and I found both to be in very good condition. Comfortable mattresses, couch and chairs in room in good shape, clean bathroom, and very functional closet and drawer space. The one major drawback to this cruise is not just limited to the Carnival Valor, but all the Carnival ships I have sailed on in the past couple of years, that being the quality of both food and service. To me both began their decline shortly after the retirement of former CEO Bob Dickerson, or "Uncle Bob" as he was known by employees. On our five night cruise there were two nights I did not eat what I ordered. One was the Beef Lasagna which had zero texture. It was almost mush. The pasta was was overcooked and there was no flavor at all.I ordered another entree and it was fair. The other was the Southern Fried Chicken. I am from the South and I know fried chicken. I got a small breast and drumstick i think it was, but did not keep it long enough to find out. The chicken was very dry inside, and the outside was way overcooked. It is evident that they cooked it at too high a temperature. In the Buffet lines I found the quality to be about the same. The selection also left something to be desired. Also I remember the good ole days of eating all the deserts because they were all so good, but now I try all of them to find one that is good. In all my life I have never had cheese cake that was anything like the stuff on the ship. It seems that it is less cheese and more cake. The only other negative I can think of is the Endless Bubbles program. Compared to RCCL sodas the Carnival program is bad. There are no soda machines so you have to wait in line at a bar and you end up with a warm soda being poured onto ice. Also in the Buffet areas nobody comes along anymore to take drink orders, so you have to get your food, then go outside and stand in line at a bar to get a warm soda on ice (can you tell this is my pet peeve?). The warm soda melts the ice and you have a watered down soda. Carnival needs to consider investing in the self serve soda machines like they have on RCCL. One more thing to note is that in the dining room the waiters used to unroll your napkin and place it on you lap and hand you a menu already opened. Minor thing but they do not do that any more. Also on evening turn down they would always place a mint on your pillow and they no longer do that either. Some of these are small things, but it would be wise to remember that a lot of little bits creates a gob.Other than these items I was happy with the cruise and would consider cruising on the Valor again. OK.. One more thing. I find cruise directors to be so full of themselves. They remind me of the plastic game show hosts. So fake. I took a Carnival last year and had a cruise director named "Jess From The U.S. This young lady was such a delight. She did not try to be the star of the show. She was herself and came across as being real. We need more cruise directors like her.

All things considered it was a very good cruise

Carnival Valor Cruise Review by philkrigel

philkrigel’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 13 to 15
Ages 16+
Get Carnival Valor price drops

Ocean View
Cabin 6A 1285
The cabin was very good. We had two cabins and found both the be great. Clean, comfortable, and a lot of closet and drawer space.
Riviera Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins