Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review
1,369 Reviews

By Far The Worst Cruise Experience!

Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by Keenya

• Sail Date: May 2019
  • Destination: the Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

I don't even know where to start!!!

I have been spoiled by Disney cruises and now that my daughter feels she is too "old" to travel Disney we choose Carnival out Charleston, SC

Cons:

1. Don't book/pay for ANYTHING in advance prior to getting on the ship. Trust me you will have to fight/dispute charges later, so just pay when you get there.

2. Don't bother to reserve arrival/boarding time or pay for parking in advance because regardless if you pay in advance, or choose a boarding time, it is first come first serve. We waited in line for 1 hour 25 minutes just to park!

3. Be prepared to park your car and then take a van/bus to the boat!!! Crazy!

4. Be prepared to hike up 3 levels of ramp prior to getting on the boat.

5. Please, please....BRING YOUR OWN SEASONING!!! The food is soooooo bland!!!

6. Bring your own soda and water. The drinks provided for "free" are HORRIBLE!!!!

7. Not much to do on the ship. Most of the activities weren't too engaging and didn't cater to the vast mix of ethnicities on the boat.

8. Speciality restaurants are a JOKE!!! The Fahrenheit 555 had the worst view. I can't tell you have many times I tried to avoid looking out at the life boats while eating, but it was the only view they had to offer! They took forever to serve the food. And cruising is supposed to be an opportunity to taste different types of food. Be prepared to only select 1 option from the starter, main and dessert menus. You can't try additional items. The price of the steakhouse on the Carnival cruise is about the same price as the Disney Palo, and trust me, you will leave the Disney restaurant stuffed from the vast amount of options you get to choose from.

9. If you purchase the "Bubbly" soda package, be prepared to be treated as less than! The servers know that a can of soda more than likely won't come with a tip, so that take their sweet time making your drink. If you don't watch them, they will serve you left over soda from previous cans, so ask for ice and the entire can and pour it yourself. After all, you are paying $40+ for soda if on a 4 day cruise.

10. The absolute worst was getting off the boat. They tell you to sit in the Liquid Lounge and line up your luggage because this is the only way to depart the ship. While you are waiting the entire remaining passengers on the ship are upstairs getting off the boat without lining up. So we sat in the Liquid Lounge for NOTHING!!

11. Be prepared to take a 10-15 min ride to the Princess Cay beach. NOTHING about this ship is just one-stop. Everything requires a bus, van or boat to get to the next point of interest.

12. I learned they don't drain the pool every night. By the 2nd afternoon the water was so murky that I didn't allow my daughter to swim. DISGUSTING!

Pros:

1. Kids Camp Ocean was great. At least from a kids point of view but they have the nerve to charge after 10pm. That is the time when most adults are up and about!

Overall a terrible experience. I tried my best to be positive, but there was just nothing positive outside of getting amazing rest once I was able to adjust to the hard mattress or the lumpy couch.

Katute was great at providing services for the cabin. Really nice gentleman!

Will never travel with Carnival again. This was my first and last experience!

Keenya's Full Rating Summary

Balcony
Cabin 8E 8117

Cabin was VERY small. During the trip they decided they needed to wash the windows. REALLY! The could have taken place prior to arrival or after departure. I was only a 4 day cruise, the windows were dirty when we arrived, the could have remained dirty the entire trip instead of having me lose out on opportunities to use my balcony for a good portion of the day due to maintenance and then waiting for the water to dry off the chairs.

Water pressure and temperature of the shower was AMAZING! but bathroom was super small

Keenya