3. Royal Princess
First time on a cruise. Expectations were high. Those glitzy commercials... First, the positives. Overall it was a relaxing and friendly environment. I cannot say enough positive about the wait staff in the dining areas and every other staff member we crossed was cheery and enthusiastic and very willing to help and engage. The state room was filthy on arrival. Feces smeared on the sides of the toilet bowl, dirty hand prints in the shower, and clearly not vacuumed. Patio doors to deck were filthy too. Sofa in room was grimy looking. You board a ship with trepidation about getting norovirus and this is what greets you. We were given a complimentary meal in the steak house after complaining. Never did see the complimentary robes we signed up for before the cruise. The internet service you purchase is locked to one device. This is not mentioned prior to purchase. The ship's television service went out three times for hours, once for a solid 24 hours. - so much for relaxing in your room at the end of an evening with a show before bedtime. I was glad to not be traveling with children. The buffet featured food that was bland the majority of the time. Maybe I can appreciate this more when I am a geriatric. Food had from the other dining areas was much better. AMATEUR live entertainment. For example there was a Mariachi band with some members pretending to play instruments along to canned recordings. It made relaxing in common areas during live performances difficult. It really was that cringe worthy. I am not musical at all and I was picking up on it. For my husband who is a classically trained musician it was excruciating. The Medallion GPS tracker/room key/electronic payment device was convenient. I felt like part of a wildlife tag and release program but it did aid the room stewards in knowing we were not in the room and we found it cleaned at all differing hours of the day which was convenient. For those signing up for shore excursion packages please do NOT assume that if lunch is provided as part of the excursion that a beverage of ANY sort is included as well (billed separately for water - surprise!). Mazatlan is a hard pass. Anyone who has visited a Mexican city bordering the US has already seen what they have to offer of squalor, but now add in many Mexican federal policemen with machine guns for that extra war zone feel.

Filthy room on arrival and sub par entertainment

Royal Princess Cruise Review by Hellish

• Sail Date: April 2019
  • Destination: Mexican Riviera
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Balcony
First time on a cruise. Expectations were high. Those glitzy commercials...

Hellish’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Princess price drops

Deluxe Balcony
Cabin DE E732
Room had plenty of space. No real storage save for the closet. We lived out of suitcases versus hanging all of our clothes. Things felt worn and dirty even after the full sanitization they promised us.
Marina Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Cathedral Basilica
    Tour guide was great and engaging. Bus driver was the MAN - navigating a full size tour bus thru narrow streets with inconsiderate drivers, bikers, and pedestrians with just inches to spare at times. Mazatlan itself is just a picture in squalor, but add federal police and machine guns for that true war zone feel. Not recommended
    View All 8 Cathedral Basilica Reviews
  • Tequila Factory Walking Tour
    We tasted many of Viva Tequila's flavor offerings and learned about savoring the types much like a wine tasting. Traditional dance show was good. Beware - if your outing includes lunch in the price you do still have to pay for ANY sort of beverage (even water) at the time of dining.
    View All 67 Tequila Factory Walking Tour Reviews