3. Carnival Breeze
I recently took my last cruise on a Carnival cruise ship. I was hoping that Carnival would wow me with a Fun experience that blew me away... but that didn't happen. Don't get me wrong, I was on a cruise ship sailing to amazing locations so I made my own fun and had a great time. No sour grapes here... just the reality that Carnival is not for me. The ship in general rocked and rolled more that any other ship I've been on before and the seas/winds did not correlate with the amount of movement. The Motown show was switched to just singing due to the motion; the exterior of decks 12 and 14 were closed for good portions of three of the days. Imagine a Sea Day on a Spring Break cruise where the slides, basketball courts, Serenity deck, and main Lido pool were closed until late afternoon. I saw one picture posted where there were no-joke 21 kids in one hot tub. I couldn't help but wonder how many used it for a toilet while they were all in there. Gross!!! Embarkation was delayed for no apparent reason. FTTF did not board until 12:20pm, which is later than many have stated for previous cruises. If you are booking Carnival, either pay for FTTF or plan to board the ship after 1:30pm. Things get a little crazy between 12:30 and 1:30 with 3000 people and all the luggage stewards moving around. If you do board early, avoid the Lido buffet- head to either Guy's Pig & Anchor on Deck 5, Guy's Burgers on 10, or the Italian place at the back on 11. We ate in the MDR every night... food was average at best and service was slow. What bothered me the most was the inconsistency with the meat preparation. For example I ordered a Pork Loin one night at the recommendation of the server. It was cut into three pieces. The first piece was so dry I could not eat it... the second piece was dry but I could eat it with a dose of milk to wash it down, and the third piece was great. Similar things happened with steak, prime rib, and fish orders... two people at the same table getting the same menu item but the preparation like it was from a different kitchen. Also, I love cheese cake. It was available on one night only the entire cruise. And the stuff that Carnival calls "cheese cake" that is served at the Lido buffet is actually just regular cake with bland taste and maybe something like cheese cake in the middle. MDR was slow for breakfast and dinner. The Lido buffet was ridiculous... the only time I ate there was to try the new desserts that as mentioned previously were OK and inconsistent. Otherwise the lines were stupid long... not worth the wait for mediocre food selection. Plus other good options like Guy's and the burrito place. Speaking of Guy Fieri... The two Guy's joints are the best things about a Carnival Breeze cruise if you don't want to pay extra for food. Followed by lunch in the Italian restaurant The entertainment was below par compared to other cruise lines. For the main shows, there was one exceptional singer/performer and then several others that were at the high school level. Motown could have been good but they could not do the entire show due to the rocking boat; the Cowboy show was horrible and poorly directed; the Flick had great effects but I'm not really sure I got the point; the 88 Keys was the best show because it featured the only real performer in the cast and it covered several well-known songs. Of course, the Love & Marriage was funny but that is because it is "performed" by regular people being asked fun questions that most married people can relate to. The comedians were good, but as others have mentioned get unnecessarily raunchy just to make their shows R-rated. The same content could have been presented without the crude language and been just as funny. I personally went to Cowboy Bill and Just June. I think the CD Donkey tried too hard to be funny. I know others like him and I get it, but for me he was OK. His Quest show was at a JV level compared to the Quest shows I've been part of on other lines. Again, for me "Raunchy" and "Fun" are not the same thing. Ports: Amber Cove - A Carnival only port that they've done a nice job of developing to meet their needs. I am 6'4 and "big-boned" so I was not able to partake in the sliding or zip-lining, but those that did said it was fun. Sliding is free, zip-lining at the port cost $20 US. No excursion booked. St Thomas - We booked the Turtle Cove Sail & Snorkel With Open Bar through Carnival. I gave it a 4 out of 5 rating... it was a great day for a sail and the crew made for a fun adventure. According to the crew members, hurricanes and climate change have wiped out a good amount of the coral life in Turtle Cove and other areas of St Thomas which has affected the turtle and fish population. You will still see all of it, but at a rate of half the population compared to just a few years ago. San Juan - We followed the Walking Tour: Historic Old San Juan posted on thejellybeans.net - it was a great way to see Old San Juan for FREE. Check it out for yourself. After that we shopped and made some purchases from the local merchants. Grand Turk - Jack's Shack is as advertised. A great getaway from the Margaritaville crowds with great prices, excellent food, and generously poured drinks. Plus the dogs, the beach, and the beautiful water. It is worth the short walk down the beach from the pier. Disembarkation was pretty smooth... off the ship by 7:15am and on the way back to reality. As mentioned I will not be on an Carnival cruise again. I prefer the better quality food and higher-caliber shows offered with other lines compared to the cheaper prices and raunchy fun available on Carnival. This is not a bash on Carnival. I was on vacation... I had fun... I am not complaining... I am being as honest as possible and in all honesty I was not impressed.

Carnival Breeze - Not Impressed

Carnival Breeze Cruise Review by dsweeneyv

Ports:

dsweeneyv’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Breeze price drops

Balcony
Cabin 8E 8349
The cabin was smaller than I'm used to with other lines- we were in 8349, balcony room. No biggie cuz we only use the room for sleeping and getting some private sun/star-gazing on the balcony. We never turned the TV on the entire week. Two plugs on the desk, plus one way up above the mirror in the bathroom for a hair dryer, razor, curling iron, etc. Comfy beds. Worst room attendant experience we've ever had... I think his name was Jason. He did an OK job keeping the room clean, but otherwise nothing special.
Lido Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins