3. Norwegian Jade
I just returned from a quick 4 nighter on the Jade, Miami to Cozumel. This was my 14th overall cruise, 13th on NCL. We’ve sailed Breakaway (3x), Epic, Getaway, Dawn, Jewel (2x), Star (2x), Sun, and Gem. We had an Aft Penthouse Suite which was worth every penny, although we got a good deal on it. Our Butler was Carlos who was terrific as was Teo our Steward. Concierge was Omar who was nice but we never used him. This was my third time in a suite, and once again, our escort on board was messed up. I have yet to be fully escorted to Cagneys/Moderno for lunch as is supposed to be the practice. Check in at Miami was smooth – there is a separate room for Haven and Suites. We were escorted into the terminal and seated in the Haven and Suites area. At 11:30, someone came to take Haven guests. A fellow passenger asked if he was taking only Haven guests for non-Haven suite guests. He said Haven only. After about 15 minutes, we asked if someone was coming back for us. We finally walked to the front of the line and basically demanded to Board. After much back and forth, and seeing all of the CAS folks, Plats/PlatPlusses and Wheelchairs board, someone finally came for us. Frustrating to say the least. Lunch in Cagneys was fantastic. It was actually the only day we ate lunch there we were always too full from dinner the night before and breakfast! We did eat breakfast every day in Moderno, the French toast and Salmon Frittata were to die for. Cozumel was gorgeous. We opted to go to Passion Island as id never been there before and my sister really wanted a nice beach. It was well worth it, and a do-over for sure. The beach was gorgeous white sand, raked, clean, hammocks and chairs everywhere. Its limited to 700 people a day and I don’t think there was even that many there. Our ship excursion was first to the island so we had our pick of seats. We walked way down to the furthest seats from the pier. The day also included an amazing lunch buffet and limited open bar (drinks were sticky sweet and watered down, not entirely surprised tho). A great day, we only wish we had more time there. It was well organized, and we had about 3 hours and 20 minutes on the beach. The entertainment in general was awful on this ship. I think it was because it was only a 4 nighter. The comedian Rod was not funny. At all. We walked out. Blazin’ Boots was the only production show offered. It was very good and the highlight. We didn’t get to the magicians on the final night so I can’t comment. The only lounge singers we saw were a male female duo who were awful and a piano player who seemed to struggle with his genre. He was all over the map. Bartenders at the Great Outdoors bar and Mixers were the best. We had a good time with the Mixers bartenders in the evenings. For food, we ate at Moderno, Teppanyaki and Alizar (MDR). Moderno was ON this cruise. Perfectly cooked and seasoned meats and fantastic salad bar. Kept having to ask for rolls, as they’d only bring us 2 at a time (probably for waste purposes, I get it). Teppanyaki was fun, we had a great group at our hibachi and Warren was our chef. We had rezzies for LeBistro the last night but my sister was very sea sick as we’d had rough seas all day Thursday and into Thursday night. It didn’t settle down until we pulled into Miami Friday morning. The MDR was ok, very slow service but we ate at prime time (7pm). Ship was very clean, buffet decent the few times we grabbed a quick snack. The Pool Deck was closed the entire afternoon of embarkation day. We didn’t want to use it, but of course many did and they were not happy. The ship was delayed leaving port by nearly 2 hours. Both of these were due to them still cleaning up from the theme cruise the week before. Unfortunate. Overall a great time! I would sail this ship again, she was gorgeous after her dry dock refurb.

Mini Cruise on Jade