3. Celebrity Silhouette
Here are my notes on the cruise, I picked Celebrity as I really liked the look of their ships - and this itinerary entailed visiting five places I had never been to before. [b]The Good Stuff[/b] - staff were excellent, Celebrity really let their personality shine and it they made the cruise overall an absolute pleasure - QSine: dining here was USD45 per person, and there was so much food. The sushi here was better than Sushi on 5, their play on every course was a delight. They recommend you go for five or six courses, we were struggling to finish our fourth! - The Lawn Grill: possibly my favourite meal of the week: the menu has 'Chefs Wanted' on it: so you can actually throw your own flatbread and cook your steaks at the open air kitchen. Again, USD 45.00 but great fun. - Martini Bar: this tended to be the most social area of the ship, which takes me to my next point: - the people we met on board were brilliant! Made so many new friends, everyone was so social and up or a chat. It made the occasional person who didn't say Good Morning in the elevator for example, stand out like a sore thumb! - the beds were very comfortable and there was a surprising amount of storage space in our balcony cabin - the balcony was nice. It was listed as Obstructed View, but as you can see from the pic below, it was a minor obstruction - security was excellent, and I felt reassured each time we boarded with the XRay machines etc. - entertainment highlight: a group of singers called Uptown - really excellent. The acrobatics and trapeze shows were superb, although I heard a few people saying the entertainment was not good. The silent disco was one of the best things I have ever done! - I really liked the public bathrooms. There was always someone there making sure they stayed spic and span. And actual hand towels - I approve! - the artwork throughout the ship was lovely - our cabin was great, with amazing water pressure in the showers! - there was also a sofa, coffee table, tv and minibar between the balcony and bedroom area. - back to food, the Oceanview Cafe felt like it had been lifted from a car ferry. But it was pretty wholesome, good comfort food. I liked that the Indian food section had actually spicy, hot Indian food, rather than trying to 'keep it safe'. Also, the pizza here was excellent! [b]The not so good[/b] - The bars tended to be understaffed for the amount of people there. This lead to the annoying situation of people arriving at the bar after, being served first. This is an 'amber light' because as the staff recognised us as days went out, we tended to get served pretty quickly. One way we made friends was to ensure we weren't queue jumpers ourselves. - We went back to QSine for lunch, but it turned out to be a set courses of sea food. Not my first choice. Although, when this arrived, we assumed it was to share. We were wrong! - On every excursion, you basically signed your life away. Celebrity weren't responsible for your death or injury. While I'm sure the legality could be challenged, it felt like a real downer. I didn't rate the excursions at all, apart from the one to some ancient Mayan ruins which was fascinating. - Grand Cayman was particularly disappointing with what appeared to be the mistreatment of the Stingrays. I was delighted to be paddling in water with the rays happily swimming around me, I didn't care for the organisers grabbing them and dragging them over to a circle of us humans. My pal said one of the rays was actually bleeding, but not sure how it was caused. The snorkling was disappointing too - perhaps one of the storms is to blame? Incidentally, the drive back to the ship, was in a word, hair-raising. I didn't feel at all safe. There was then a hard sell on photographs on the way back, with the boat deliberately slowed down to ensure the hard-sell could be completed. (USD 40 for a few photographs - emailed!!) - I know it's for health reasons, but having to hold your hand out to get a squirt of cleansing gel every time you went into the Oceanview Cafe felt very child like. But I guess if it prevents Novovirus then who am I to complain? [b]The downright annoying[/b] - boarding was from a warehouse, basically. Port Everglades Quay 29 was pretty awful. We first queued in blistering sunshine (I'm from London. 24C was blistering!) for an age, before being led into this grim warehouse for security then another huge queue to get our boarding cards. - there was a faint, yet strange smell around our deck which, was a bit like stale urine. Couldn't really work out why, because a) the ship and cabin was spotless b) it either went away or we got used to it - had lunch in the main dining room "Grand Cuvee" and it was really poor. We did not return. - The up-selling was incessant on days one and two, embarrassingly so. C'mon Celebrity, surely you are better than this? At every bar and restaurant we felt like we were being accosted (we were followed on several occasions by staff trying to get us to upgrade to Premium Drinks and extra dining packages and this was not a good introduction to Celebrity.) - cakes in Oceanview cafe looked amazing, but were really tasteless. Not sure how they managed that as they looked amazing - Wifi was USD249 per device. Having said that, it was fast, and enabled access to Netflix for those lazy moments at sea. - Certainly not my experience, but during several conversations, other more regular cruisers noted that 'This is not a good ship. Not a good ship at all'. Odd! Overall then, it was a good experience. I think I would like to try Celebrity Edge, but also see what other brands have to offer. Don't get me wrong, while I was annoyed by some aspects of the cruise, this is mainly due to what Celebrity promise and what they deliver. I struggle with Celebrity being seen as a more upmarket cruise line. It felt like a Hilton Hotel. (I don't rate Hilton) WIth eyes wide open, I was happily try Royal Caribbean. They have WATER SLIDES!!

Fantastic, despite some irritations

Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by SealinkBF

• Sail Date: January 2018
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Veranda (obstructed view)

[b]The Good Stuff[/b]

- the artwork throughout the ship was lovely

- our cabin was great, with amazing water pressure in the showers!

[b]The not so good[/b]

[b]The downright annoying[/b]

SealinkBF’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Silhouette price drops

Deluxe Veranda (obstructed view)
Cabin 2D 6178
The cabin was really nice, with quite a large bathroom, comfortable beds a big television (we found the behind the scenes videos amazing).

The air con was excellent, and it was (for me) surprisingly quiet.
Continental Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Stingray Swim
    Didn't enjoy this at all.
    Firstly, the drive to/from the site was alarming.
    The hardsell on pics on the return was annoying.
    I didn't like how the stingrays were handled by the tour guides.
    View All 727 Stingray Swim Reviews