3. Caribbean Princess
We chose this cruise for itinerary. Unfortunately the second half ports were changed before final payment. We thought long and hard about canceling. Sorry now we didn’t. We flew to Heathrow on Princess EZ air. Flights went well. We landed at 6:15 am and it took almost two hours to get off the plane and through passport control. A nightmare. We found our princess transfer easily and were on our way to South Hampton by 8:45. We arrived at the ship about 10:15, had to wait to get our cruise cards, then had to wait to board the ship. I think we were on by noon. For the first time ever we had booked a mini suite. I wasn’t impressed with the cabin. The carpet was very worn. The bathroom floor had chipped tiles. The grouting was dirty. The balcony was very rusty and appeared to have paint stains on the floor. On the plus side, there was plenty of room and storage. The bed was very comfortable. And thanks, Princess, for allowing a catholic priest to say Mass on Sunday. It was much appreciated. We had traditional dining, in the Palm, early seating. We had a terrific waiter for the first 12days. She was very friendly, outgoing, enthusiastic. Unfortunately someone decided to move her for the second leg and we got an older guy just back from vacation. He obviously had a difficult time getting into the routine again, as he forgot several second courses, never made any recommendations, didn’t serve ladies first.. just a bad experience. The menus were ho hum, and the same choices were offered several times. I had spaghetti and meatballs one night and the meatballs were undercooked. The waiter tried to tell me they looked red because they had catsup in them. I know when meat isn’t thoroughly cooked. We found the buffet choices very repetitive, especially at breakfast. Lunch always had lots of choices. Dinner wasn’t so great. We had burgers at the grill. They were good. Pizza from Slice was cold. We enjoyed the pub lunches. There was a pizza lunch in Sabatini’s one day. We each got a small pizza which was freshly made, so service was slow. I suggest having slices to choose from. Loved the ice cream. The entertainment was hit or miss. Some was okay, some was awful. We had seen many of the production shows on other cruises, and they were repeated from one leg to the next. Other activities were always the same. Too many sales, raffles, art shows, photo ops. Didn’t particularly like the cruise director. He spent most of his time dancing. A big plus was the staff. Most were very friendly, helpful and seemed happy with their job. Right out of the gate we missed our first port. Then a strike at LaHavre prevented our stopping there. I was very disappointed because we missed our tour to Normandy and the American cemetery, one of the reasons we chose this itinerary. The tender experience left a lot to be desired. Disembarking at ports was slow and confusing. Getting back on the ship was also slow, because they had only one security station open most of the time...poorly handled. The weather for the most part was chilly, windy and rainy. The seas were also rough a couple of days and nights. We would not travel on this ship again. After several cruises on Princess, we are thinking of canceling the one we have booked for next summer and trying another line.

Had second thoughts, wish I would’ve made a different decision

Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by msualum

• Sail Date: September 2017
  • Destination: Transatlantic
  • Cabin Type: Mini-Suite with Balcony

msualum’s Full Rating Summary
Get Caribbean Princess price drops

Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MD
Lots of room and storage. Carpet is worn, balcony rusty,
Dolphin Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins