Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review

Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by JA38

• Sail Date: Jul 2015
  • Destination: the Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony

Galveston wouldn't be my first choice of ports, but it was uneventful (that's a good thing).

I was hesitant to believe how good the food was before I took my first cruise. After my first cruise (Carnival Conquest), I was hooked. The food was off the chart good. skip to this cruise... My first Royal Caribbean Cruise (thinking it was a slightly higher end) and my fears were realized. While service was good all over the ship, the food was barely edible. It was beyond bad. Poor quality food with uninspired preparation. Canned clam chowder, steaks taste like they came from a box of frozen steaks bought at Walmart or Sams. Even the crew said they go off the boat to find good food. There was literally nothing on the boat that was exceptional that was intended to be consumed. To be fair, the lobster and escargot were pretty good. Literally nothing else was any better than high school cafeteria fare. Even the cocktails weren't very good.

The boat was fun. The service was good and even great in places with the exception of cocktail service to the casino tables (a drink every 90 minutes was the norm unless you got up to get one for yourself). They had one waiter there and he could most often be found talking to pretty girls instead of his job.

Melvin and Rohan (dining room staff) couldn't have been better. Not their fault they are serving slop.

Bands and music were pretty good. The Reggae band at the pool was awesome. The country band in Bolero's was pretty good (but only played one night that I heard). The guitar guy in Two Poets was good. Problem was, not enough music or for long enough. There were times when you couldn't find a band anywhere.

Shows were disappointing.

I didn't like the constant marketing. I didn't expect high pressure sales tactics on my vacation. I bought a few things, would have bought much more without the in your face tactics.

Mini fridge in my stateroom was broken and maintenance never came to fix it despite daily requests. I guess they were too busy ripping up and grinding away balcony flooring with power tools just outside my stateroom most of the cruise.

I wasn't and am not bitter, I just found Royal Caribbean (or at least this ship) severely lacking in comparison to other choices out there.

JA38's Full Rating Summary

Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony
Cabin E3 6672

The cabin was nice. Mini Fridge didn't work and they couldn't manage to find the time to come replace or fix it in the 7 days we were there despite daily reminders. Some cold water would have been nice as there wasn't a place on the boat to be found that was truly cool enough to be completely comfortable. It felt like the entire boat was stuck at 78 degrees. That is just a tad too warm for me.

Evidently, maintenance chose our cruise to grind away a portion of the decking on the balconies on my side of the ship for the entire day for the first 3 days.

Bamboo Rafting

nice, relaxing, and surprisingly, very cool temps on the water. Kind of boring, actually, a lot boring, but sometimes boring isn't a bad thing. The Jerk chicken was very tasty, or maybe in comparison to the slop from the boat made it that much better. The dining area for the chicken left a lot to be desired though.

View All 30 Bamboo Rafting Reviews
Horseback Riding

Treated very well by the Powell's. Their son was our guide and everything was great!

View All 4 Horseback Riding Reviews
Dolphin Swim & Encounter

kind of cheesy actually. Dolphins were awesome, facilities were in poor condition. They don't allow photos, then try to scam large amounts of money from you to buy their photos. Price for those started at around $500 for my group. by time all the special deals are given, it was down to $150 before I had enough and walked away. Surprise, it came down to a reasonable amount after I had left the building.

View All 456 Dolphin Swim & Encounter Reviews
Galveston

The state of Texas chooses to charge you a duty on duty free spirits, but otherwise uneventful.

JA38