3. Carnival Sunshine
After reading so many negative reviews about Sunshine, I was a little worried about taking this cruise. Being a frequent cruiser on Carnival (platinum), RCCL, and NCL and having few bad experiences, really wasn't sure I wanted to take a chance on Sunshine. Glad I did! My husband, sister, son and dil went as well and I think I can also speak for them. Arrived at port about 10:30 after parking our car at off site cruise parking. We did have to wait about an hour before boarding the ship. Didn't check to see if our cabin was clean just went to Lido deck. Our favorite meeting place was the Havana Bar. Never found it crowded and always very clean in fact sparkling clean. On no other ship have I found the crew to be more helpful and friendly in every way. The Havana Bar is all the way to the back of the ship. You will find pasta at lunch as well as Asian. I loved the samples of Cuban food which were located by the bar. The marketplace was laid out so that there were no long lines even on sea days. There was a good assortment of food but I have to say that I'm not really a buffet person. Some people mentioned that the doorways were crowed. I did notice that if people did not stay in a single line, it was difficult to pass them. I can also see that for people with scooters, it would be a challenge. For people that were not challenged with mobility issues I didn't see a problem. The lido area was smaller that other ships that I've been on but there were always chairs available. The serenity deck was very large and chairs were always available there as well. Didn't spend a lot of time on the lido deck because I got too much sun the first day and we had four ports to visit. I really like sea days and found myself tired having four ports together. Now to our cabin. My sister shared a balcony cabin with my husband and myself. They took the sofa and made it into a bed which worked out nicely. We had enough room and did spend a good deal of time on the balcony. Would not have been a good choice if we had not had a balcony room. My husband and I are in our 60's and my sisters is 77. Our cabin steward was very attentive and helpful in every way. Our room was always clean and we always had ice. Shower was larger than inside rooms I've had in the past. Everything had been update and was clean with no wear noted. Did notice a little rust on the balcony but with all the sea breeze would have expected that. We ate in the dining room three nights and the service was excellent. Francis was our server after we asked to stay with him after the first night. We had MTD and found it better checking in at the taste bar because if you needed to get a beeper and you could wait comfortably until time to go down one level to the dining room. It was never crowded at the entrance, you just walked right in. The food was very good and always hot. My husband is vegetarian and Francis went out of his way to find something that he liked every night. One night there was an incident that was handled very efficiently when two servers crashed into each other coming around a corner and glass went everywhere. Everything had to be removed from our table and we had to start over but it went quickly. If you don't want to take your time and enjoy the atmosphere of the dining room it could seem like a long time to wait for your food. It was enjoyable for us because we had a lot to talk about and share. We dined in the La Cuccina on two nights and found it exceptional. Enjoyed it more than the steakhouse on previous cruises. On both nights had the chicken parmigian but did taste other entrees that were very good. The tiramisu is the best I've ever eaten anywhere. On other occasions, had Guy's Burgers and burrito bar. Tried the pizza but it wasn't as good as it used to be. I always preferred the thick crust but it seems a little soggy now even though it's thin. Didn't use the spa services. Didn't go to shows or comedy club. Did spend time in the casino and saw people winning frequently. Didn't get so lucky myself. As far as excursions, my sister did the ruins in Costa Maya and felt like it was well worth it. The rest of us took a taxi to Mahaual. We didn't get all the way into town before were convinced to stop @ a beach club for the all you can drink, plate of food, beach chair, umbrella, etc. It was a very good deal and they did massages on the beach for $20. The deal was also $20 total plus tips. It was right next to senor frog's beach retreat. Rahul treated us well but I have to say I'm glad my husband was with us because he doesn't drink and I needed him getting back to the ship. The second port was Roatan. I've been there many times so we just went to the beach to the right of the ship. I won't do that again. It was crowded and the water is just not clear with so many people. In Belize we just walked around. We did go out of the gates to walk downtown. It gave my son and his wife a look at how people really live there. I would never do it in the evening because it did look a little shady. We ended up at the Wet Lizard for a few cold beers. In Cozumel we took a taxi downtown and shopped a little bit. We ate conch fritters down at the end of the pier that were good. Back on the ship, I was impressed with the sports area. There were pool tables, golf and ropes course. I felt like this was a great cruise and would definitely go again. We did the self debarkation and got off the ship earlier that ever before. We were driving home @ 9:30 and that was even with catching the shuttle back to our car. Will definitely do that again!

What a Surprise!

Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by pam32310

pam32310’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Sunshine price drops

Balcony
Cabin 8B 6175
Newly decorated. Very clean and fresh. No spots on the carpet and shower was twice as big as inside cabin.
Deck 7 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins