3. Navigator of the Seas
We sailed out of Galveston on March 1, 2015. Checking in at the port was very quick and simple. We were on deck 10, so we were asked to show up between 11:30 and 12:00 for check in, which we did. We were through everything in less than 30 minutes. I think people that arrived later had some longer waits. We ate lunch in the Windjammer, which is always packed on sail away day. Our room was ready promptly at 1:00. Our cabin attendant was there to greet us. He was terrific the whole week. We stayed in a virtual balcony interior room. These are pretty new and I didn't know too much about it. The screen is as tall as the room and had a view from the rear of the ship, so everything that someone in a balcony cabin at the back could see, so could we. In fact, we visited one and the view was the same. We just didn't have the opportunity to open the door and actually sit outside, but it was nice to be able to see. When we were in ports, we could watch the people on the docks. Food was fine. We ate most meals in the dining room. Food was better there and it was fairly quick for breakfast and lunch. We also dined in Giovanni's one night, which was very good. We didn't try Sabor, the Mexican restaurant because I felt the premium cost addition of $35 for Mexican food was really overpriced. For a good Mexican restaurant in Houston, $35 would be considered highway robbery. We did the bamboo raft trip on the Martha Brae and it was wonderful. Spence was our guide and he was awesome. He had been doing this for 45 years, so we were in good hands. They do hit you up to buy their handmade items, but these people are poor. I didn't have any trouble just giving him an extra big tip - it's a hard life in Jamaica. We also did the trip to San Gervasio Mayan ruins in Cozumel. It was really interesting and we had a good guide, Gabriel. They added a trip to a chocolate place, which I wasn't really in to and was just another opportunity for buying things. The stop at El Mirador was lovely. It's a great photo op. We enjoyed the live music and shows, but really missed having a classical group playing in any of the bars. In past trips there has always been a duo that played classical. The ice show was really good, make sure to pick you tickets when you can on board prior to the shows. The ship band was terrific, as were their singers. Upon return to Galveston, we took our own luggage off the ship and were in our car headed home by 8AM. Very simple. I suggest doing that if you can, it's is very quick and you don't have to wait for luggage.

Great Vacation