3. Celebrity Edge
I would consider myself a mid-term cruise approximately 20 cruises. The 2 lines of choice for us are Princess and Celebrity; however, we have done all the major cruise lines out of Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. We take my 80+ year old parents and in-laws on a yearly cruise so I also like to give insights for that age range as well the complexities associated with traveling with some mobility issues. Positives: Embarkation/Debarkation: Yes, we needed a wheel chair for my father and upon entry to other ships we waited up to an hour, outside in Florida sun on hot stone benches for an attendant to maneuver us through check-in so we have some comparative data on this one. We walked into the air condition cruise terminal and received a wheel chair upon entry and was inline for elevator. While we waited in line for an elevator we were checked. Literally 15 minutes later we were in our room. Disembarkation was as smooth. Kudos to Celebrity and the Port Everglades staff for that excellent start and end of our trip. Food and Service: The staff was excellent particularly the dining room staff. We ate in the Normandie dining room for fixed seating. There was a glitch the first night as we were seated at separate tables but was sorted out very quickly by the head of the dining room. The Ocean Cafe staff was equally attentive and offered to help my father every time he came in to enable him to get his food. We didn't need the support but it was nice that the staff saw an older gentleman with some mobility issues and asked every time! A note on the buffet: I usually avoid like the plague because of the crowding, food borne illness disorganization and mediocre food. The handwash bar gives the first feeling of security versus the hand santizer defense (give me a papertowel and water which is better than sanitzer) . Food is under glass guards preventing people from coughing and breathing on it. It is well designed Oh and I did not sit at my table wondering what day the Nowalk virus outbreak would occur. Captain Kate and her crew: Kate is a rockstar for many reasons. The way I would describe it, she is the softer side (yet competent) to maritime law and approach. The fact she actually communicates her decisions is wonderful . We were diverted from Costa Maya due to high winds and she explained in detail. Just ok: Infinity balcony: Ok in concept but practically not that great. We got more room in the room but I miss the ability to connect balconies like on Princess. It is basically a very expensive window that opens. On other cruises we would sit on the balcony prior to dinner and have drink but if you do that while ship is moving it becomes like a wind tunnel and did I mention in port -you open balcony and there is no air conditioning so in 80 degree heat your room gets very warm very fast thus requiring you close it and rendering it a window. If you and whoever you share your room with are on different sleep schedules (I get up early) - your option is to sit in the dark or leave the room (same for those who are night owls). Deck/Days at sea: Super crowded, little to know shade and seating is all lounge chairs. This was hard for my dad to enjoy the deck because getting in out of a lounge chair is very difficult. Pro-tip: Found out you can request a chair on deck from the staff. Overall a good time and my parents loved it.

Very Nice Cruise

Celebrity Edge Cruise Review by Cramp

Positives:

Just ok:

Overall a good time and my parents loved it.
Cramp’s Full Rating Summary