Regal Princess Cruise Review

Regal Princess Cruise Review by MikeJS

• Sail Date: Jan 2020
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Interior

My partner and I went on this cruise to celebrate his parent's anniversary and mothers birthday, thus is was actually selected by them, and they brought the whole family along.

They've cruised many times, but this was our first.

We felt a bit too young to be on a cruise (early 40's), but we still had a lot of fun. The Regal Princess is like a 5 star Vegas hotel on the water. It was a big ship, but it didn't feel too big. We could always find a spot to sit at the buffet or a bar / restaurant, but the pool areas sometimes became overcrowded.

We were surprised at how quickly the embarkation process was, made quicker with the Ocean Medallion, a fantastic innovation.

Our interior, no-window cabin was lovely. Not terribly spacious, but clean and well laid out, with sufficient storage and responsive HVAC. I must say the entire reason I'm writing this review is to highlight our amazing cabin steward, Cecile!

Cecile introduced herself to us right after we got into our room, and made us feel instantly at home. We had a lovely conversation, and everything just 'clicked'. I've worked in hotels for 15 years, including 5 years at the 5 Star / 5 Diamond Shangri-La hotel, Toronto, and I know that some people just "have it", and Cecile is one of these people. If people like Cecile are what Princess Cruises are all about, I don't even want to try anyone else.

Dining on the ship was also above average. The buffet seemed endless, and most of the food was very tasty, and not too bland, like you'd find at many resorts. We dined a few times at Alfredo's, again mostly because of the excellent service of one individual (though I cannot recall her name!), and also did the timed dining twice, at the Symphony dining room. No complaints.

We're not very much into live entertainment, so tried to steer clear of it most nights, but the female guitarist they had stood out. Live music is usually too loud, but it actually wasn't on this cruise, something we were surprised to find. It was relatively easy to find a quiet spot for a drink too.

The experience was very relaxing for the most part, with the exception being the pool area, which was always quite busy. Too busy much of the time. It feels like a ship this size should have a larger main pool, or even more additional pool areas. If the ship is ever remodeled, they should remove the enormous centre fountain (which wasn't working), and expand the pool. That might be my only real complaint, and even it was not that bad.

Overall, we had a great time, and would do another cruise in a second if we thought we could meet Cecile again.

MikeJS's Full Rating Summary

Interior

Spacious, clean, well laid out with sufficient storage, and a large TV. Additional outlets on the bedside tables would have been nice though.

Beach

The beach on St. Maarten was very busy, and negotiating the rental of chairs & umbrellas from the chair & umbrella pimps was uncomfortable, but once we were settled it was great. I had some fantastic, if expensive, jerk chicken at a restaurant just off the beach. I'm sure it could have been had for cheaper, but that's ok. The predatory feel of people wanting your money was an underlying constant though.

City Tour

We took a bus tour of a portion of the island, up the mountain, and down to Magen Bay. The bus driver didn't tell us much about the history of the island, he was more interested in pointing out the houses of the rich and poor, but we didn't mind. A bit more history would have been nice.

View All 115 City Tour Reviews
Magen Bay Beach

This was our favorite port. Magen's Bay beach was great. Expectedly a little crowded though. The beaches are nicer in Cuba, but this was still a stunning place.

View All 265 Magen Bay Beach Reviews
Princess Cays

Unfortunately the Princess Cays "port" doesn't feel like anything more than what it is, a beach area owned and operated by Princess. The beach was lovely, but it didn't feel like we were anywhere.

Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades)

We did nothing in Ft Lauderdale except get on and get off the ship.

MikeJS