3. Serenade of the Seas
We were celebrating a 40th wedding anniversary, 60th birthday and an engagement. We had 11 family members from 3 different locations coming together for this cruise. December 30th. We boarded the ship and was advised to head up to the pool bar to get a drink and relax until the buffet was open and our cabins were ready. Upon getting to the pool bar, there was only 1 bartender, and her attitude clearly showed that that was the last place she wanted to be. She was unfriendly and rude and basically, we were inconveniencing her. We moved on to the Schooner Bar, and that was also a disaster. I waited for half an hour to get drinks and it was so disorganized, having to swipe our cards over and over to get them to work. DINNER SERVICE: Once again very disorganized. I will commend Oksana and Veda (our waitress and assistant waitress) for their diligence and commitment to trying to get everything right. However, the main fault herein lies with the bar! Our drink orders were taken as soon as we sat down, yet, we didn't receive our drinks until after the appetizers had already been served. The first few nights, we weren't even able to get a fresh glass of wine to go with our dinner. Moving forward, Veda was smart to put in our drink orders before we even got to the dining room so that we would have drinks when we arrived. Great idea, but caused some confusion when we wanted to change what we were drinking. One of my daughter's meals was served with hair in her food. The manager handled it well, however asked for her cabin number so that the incident would be noted and we would be contacted for follow up. NO contact was ever made and no follow up completed. DINING: The food was just okay.... Nothing special. There is no 24 hour option. Everything is closed by 1:00am which is ridiculous when the bars are still open and people need some option after that time. Also, in today's world, what about healthy options? Fresh fruit or vegetable smoothies? BAR SERVICE: This whole bar system, service and offering is a JOKE! We each paid $860 Canadian Dollars for the all inclusive bar package. I have NEVER been anywhere in this world that had so many restrictions with an all inclusive package. The drink menus posted all over the ship at every bar, did not have some of the drinks that were listed. When asking the bartenders about it, they shrugged and looked blank. No idea what they were even offering. The one drink rule at a time is an absolute disgrace. I can understand if you have waiters serving the drinks etc, but to expect me on my vacation to stand in line for 30 minutes to get a drink and then to be told I can only get one drink at a time and THIS INCLUDES WATER!!!! This is ludicrous. You supply us with a cold drinks cup and then we can't fill it because we can only have 1 drink at a time. No doubles allowed, but wait in line for another 30 minutes for another drink. Asked for bottled water for our cabin and was told that we would have to pay extra for it and that was with the all inclusive package. Had to call the mini bar service, then customer service and finally the bar manager just to get some bottled water for the cooler in the cabin. No alcohol in the cabin, so basically not allowed to enjoy the balcony on the cabin with a drink while getting ready for dinner or baileys in my coffee while watching the sunrise. EXCURSIONS: We were misinformed about everything. All tours are overbooked and we are packed in like sardines. We booked two excursions and was supposed to get the 10% discount that was being offered. The customer service staff didn't know how to process it so was going to have the excursion staff either process it or call me to confirm. Neither happened. Had to spend my last evening of the cruise trying to get it sorted out. Specifically asked about the driving to the excursion destinations as one of my daughters suffers from severe motion sickness, Was advised that it was not a long drive and she "should be fine". For the adventure tubing excursion - for a 3 1/2 hour excursion over 2 hours of it was driving and on switch back roads etc. My daughter was hanging out the window with nausea and vomiting. When we arrived at the location, we were advised that they were not expecting that many people and we had to stand around waiting while they pumped up more tubes. They ended up not having enough life jackets and tubes for everyone that was there. CHOPS GRILL: Dining in one of your up-sell dining rooms. First off, had we been told that it was like a $20 difference to go from one restaurant to 3, we would have taken that option. But that was never suggested. We booked in at Chops Grill to celebrate a 40th wedding anniversary. This was booked even before we left home and there was no end of trouble with it. My sister will be contacting you regarding this as well. I had notified your representative who booked the cruise for us what we were celebrating. He assured me that all 3 occasions would be noted on our file and that something "special" would be done to acknowledge all 3!!!! NOTHING WAS DONE OR EVEN ACKNOWLEDGED. We barely sat down at Chops Grill and the server was there taking drink orders but wanted our food order at the same time. We hadn't even looked at our menus yet. They were very pushy and we felt extremely rushed. This was supposed to be an enjoyable, leisurely meal and it was not. CONSTRUCTION AT THE POOL: Just what we wanted... NOT!!! On day 3 or 4, they started dismantling the screen that was pool side. For the remainder of the cruise, until day 9, there was construction pool side. It was extremely loud, with welding sparks flying, burning smells and just overall disturbing. With the construction, that meant no music entertainment as anything was drowned out by the construction noise. Also meant no relaxing quiet time for reading or just enjoying the beautiful weather. THIS IS SOMETHING THAT SHOULD BE DONE WHEN THE SHIP IS IN FOR REFURBISHING NOT WHEN PASSENGERS ARE ON BOARD TO RELAX AND ENJOY THEIR VACATION. PHOTO GALLERY AND PACKAGE: I was on board with my two daughters and trying to get a photo package was ridiculous. Photo packages are done by cabin, why not families? I bought the full package yet was not able to get some photos of each child as they were not in the photo package of the cabin. CABIN: We had a leak in our cabin from about day 2 or 3. I advised Ida (room steward) of this and he was excellent. Got on the phone immediately to have someone look at the leak and see what was going on. Came back to our cabin after dinner that evening to check in to see if anyone had contacted us or been in to fix it. Told him no one had been by. He contact them again and still we had no results, We came back to the cabin maybe on day 5 and someone had put a towel down??? This was eventually escalated to the steward supervisor, Shonwin, He came down to speak with us. He was as frustrated as we were that nothing had been done. My daughter in the next door cabin told me at around day 6 or 7? that someone was in our cabin and had the ceiling taken down and it looked like they were working on it. Came back to the cabin, no note or anything but Ida did tell us that it was supposedly fixed. IT WAS NOT!!! On day 8, we came to the cabin after dinner to see that an industrial fan was in the room, blowing, trying to dry it out and also get rid of the smell. (sewer) Finally, enough was enough and I went to customer service. The lady at the desk Veronica had no idea that there was any kind of concern with the cabin. She asked me to wait while she looked into it, 10 minutes later, I had to ask one of the other representatives if she was coming back. She eventually did and I was told that they were going to move my cabin and she was "upgrading" us! We were moved to a cabin with a balcony, however the keys didn't work, just another frustration. We had 3 rooms side by side with family and now we are separated. Very inconvenient and not much of an upgrade. Shonwin (steward supervisor) offered us a FCC for 10% off. I laughed at him and said no thanks. Your representatives on board the ship were offering $600 off your next cruise and you are offering me 10%. That was a slap in the face for all of the inconveniences, hassles and frustrations that we had to endure.

Think twice before booking

Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review by Nikki 11

BAR SERVICE: This whole bar system, service and offering is a JOKE!

CONSTRUCTION AT THE POOL: Just what we wanted... NOT!!!

Nikki 11’s Full Rating Summary