3. Serenade of the Seas
We went with a group of 12 for New Years and a 40th wedding anniversary which was never acknowledged. Dining room staff were great and our room steward too. Definitely overpaid for this cruise. I would now rate Royal with Costa and Carnival and I have been on 30+ cruises.. Reasons: One dispenser in the shower for soap and shampoo. Even the cheapest motels offer separate bottles. Construction of a new TV screen on the main 11th deck, so a large portion of the deck was closed off for this for the majority of the cruise. Why not wait to get into port to do this? Elevators as spread far apart and by the time you figure out which one has arrived and you dash over to it, it has left. No pen and paper in the stateroom. The gym bicycles are motion powered and not electric or hybrid. For someone who just had knee replacement surgery I could not go as fast as required and so they cut out after a minute or less. Was then told that i had to wear close toed shoes to be in the gym. This is a Caribbean cruise for sandals - why was this not made very clear before hand? I checked the ticket contract and can't find anything about that. The casino sent a "thank you" to our cabin which consisted of 4 stale cookies which I could have gotten myself from the buffet. Other cruise lines send chocolate dipped strawberries etc. The customer service desk is right where the live music is and so you can't hear most of what is being said and you have to be repeating everything several times and wasting time. Had a question that the person at Customer Service could not answer. She took my name and room number and said someone would be in touch. I am still waiting to hear back. No waiters come around on 11 or 12 to take drink orders when you are lying down.You don't need to be bothered non-stop but it would have been nice not to get up Ponce is a sad joke - you pay a taxi to take you from the ship and it the place is small and run down with nothing to see or do. Guess Royal must be getting some really cheap docking fees to go here and not San Juan. Bar service is slow with long line ups. Were told they had no Baileys at one bar and it would take half an hour to get some. We were 1 point short of the next Crown and Anchor Tier status. On other cruise lines, they have bumped you up automatically knowing that you will have 11 nights credited shortly. Leak outside our room in the corridor. We called and it took them 2+ hours to even investigate and then 2 days with yellow tape and wires and fans that we had to dodge around to access our cabin and no word of apology. Barbados had a free tram running from the ship to the pier. Why not at some of the others which were just as long? It would be nice to have a lounger on the balcony … Meat in the regular dining room was mediocre at best but once you paid extra and went to Chops or paid for the speciality steaks, they were great. So what exactly does your base cruise fare include??!!!..

Disappointed

Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review by slopes

I would now rate Royal with Costa and Carnival and I have been on 30+ cruises..

Reasons:

No pen and paper in the stateroom.

It would be nice to have a lounger on the balcony …

slopes’s Full Rating Summary