Independence of the Seas Cruise Review
1,776 Reviews

The push for more money is a turn off

Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by angelmiles

• Sail Date: Jan 2020
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Interior Accessible

When I go on a cruise, I’m looking to get away and to fully relax and enjoy my vacation. I would like to express some reasons why I will think hard before I choose to cruise with RC again...

-As we board the ship and begin to look around, we are bombarded with cruise members approaching us at different areas, trying to sell us the EXTRA’S. This continued through the time on our cruise , and would be one of my biggest deciding factors, on not choosing RC again in the future... my time of relaxing became a time of trying to avoid these staff .... I know what they are offering ,and if I am interested ...I will approach them...

-The Windjammer would be another reason that I would not choose to sail with RC again. The food was great and the staff were friendly , but there was not enough staff to provide the excellence of service that one expects when paying to cruise,and definitely not the level of excellence that I have found with other cruise lines. Finally on the very last cruise day, there were sufficient staff to clean tables and collect dirty dishes and to offer tea/juice to those seated. Makes me wonder if not purposely done, to boost positive reviews on the surveys.

- when greeted at the main dining room for “my time dining”, on the first day , I was made to feel that I should be sitting with a shared table and was causing an inconvenience by requesting a table for two only. I certainly did not mind waiting for one to become available, and I had to ask about a pager system that I may be able to utilize ...to do so,

- Another big reason why RC is not a line I will consider sailing with again, is the push for more Tips...and being made to feel that if you choose not to pay the extra tips, then you aren't recognizing those who provided service of excellence.... I HAVE already PRE PAID my gratuity for service of excellence.

My experience with this RC cruise was great concerning the food , the dining room service , the ice show and theatre productions (though I feel the broadway show Grease was very vulgar for a family oriented ship).This ship has much to offer to families in regards of things to do,and that is great.However all that, is over clouded by the negative experiences that I encountered .

angelmiles's Full Rating Summary

Interior Accessible

Obviously not cleaned well enough between cruisers . Not sure if it would be not sufficient enough time for staff to clean cabin well or just the steward.... obvious dirt in drawers and on shower door and black soot like dirt obvious on vent in ceiling of shower.

Upon arriving to our room the bathroom had a very strong smell of cigarette smoke for a while.

angelmiles