Viking Orion Cruise Review

Fantastic Sights

Viking Orion Cruise Review by voyagerpunaise

• Sail Date: Jun 2019
  • Destination: Alaska

I lived in Alaska as a child so I was super excited to go back and see it as an adult. I have sailed with Viking 7 times before the Alaskan cruise and absolutely love what Viking has to offer. After we arrived in Anchorage, we had a two hour bus trip to Seward. The views were amazing! My luggage was already in the room waiting for me as I used the Luggage Forward company. As always the food was delicious and since we were in Alaska, we had crabs and lobster and fish available frequently. My friend and I met two other couples at the bar and therefore ended eating a lot in the pool cafe and the casual restaurants. We had chosen great excursions such as whale watching, riding in various zodiacs, taking the train up the mountains and several catamarans to see the glaciers and whales, seals, and birds. I found the towns at the various ports quite delightful with plenty of shopping after our excursions. One night it was so foggy, you couldn't see out of the front window at the main bar. All night long you could hear the Orion's foghorn to ensure safe passage. The entertainment consisted of young performers singing and dancing but they were fun to watch. I hated for the cruise to end because we had made such good friends onboard and I wanted to see more. The disembarkation was not much fun since there were at least 5 cruise ships also there. The airport was packed. It took 2 hours to get through United etc. but when we finally got through I saw the sign that said "Welcome to the United States" and I pulled out my Global Entry card and was through in 2 minutes. I am seriously thinking about taking the cruise again with different excursions.

The ambiance of the Orion is special. The spa with the pool, cold bucket of water dump, the snow room were so much fun. To sit in a room where it snows on you and then to hop in a warm pool was exhilarating. Around the spa are several shops where I bought a beautiful rain jacket and travel backpack. Also on this floor is a baby grand piano where a young man would play at different times during the day. We would get a tasty drink at the bar there and sit and listen to him almost every evening.

The tearoom was packed during "high tea" every day at 4. They served delicious teas and sandwiches with many sweet macaroons and cakes while we sit and meet so many new people.

Service on the Orion was fantastic. They always have a smile on their face and are so willing to help you. The bartenders can make any drink you want and love to talk with you. I love sitting at the main bar at the front of the ship as you sail towards the next destination. But all of us who ended up hanging around together felt the Bloody Marys at the bar on the first floor were the best!!

voyagerpunaise's Full Rating Summary

The cabin was perfect for 2 people. We were on the right side of the ship and had the best views of the mountains and towns and glaciers as we sailed down to Canada. I would wake up every morning and pull back the black out curtains to see the views of the mountains with snow and lose my breath as the beauty was unparalleled. It was clean, warm and cozy and we had carafes of coffee delivered every morning. The closet space was absolutely enough for 2 women with lots of clothes.

voyagerpunaise