Norwegian Star Cruise Review

Norwegian Star Cruise Review by Lake Powell Guy

• Sail Date: Dec 2019
  • Destination: the Panama Canal & Central America
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony

The Panama canal has been a bucket list trip for me for years and this one was priced right so I took it. Overall I had a great time. Going through the Panama canal was very well done with Panamanian official on board giving timely reports over the intercom as to what we were seeing.

Just keep in mind that the Star is an older ship and will not compare to the newer ones in the fleet. If you have that in mind your expectations should be in line.

I am not overly picky about food so the 3 star food on this ship was just fine for me. I never had any problems with the food just keep in mind it is not 5 star.

The disappointment came in when NCL changed two of our ports of call the last minute which completely changed my plans for those ports. No time to switch gears...had to wing it and those days were minimal at best.

The layout of the Star is odd where not all elevators go to all floors....not all hallways go through...etc. You have to memorize some shortcuts to get around.

Some of my areas of focus:

The gym was great... I enjoyed the thermal suite as I bought the pass...a very quiet area...almost sanctuary. The Oasis pool was the ship's focal point most of the day. They provided music much of the day there which was nice. The H2O spice area was nice...very quiet back there. Hot tubs were always fun with people in and out most of the day. At night the Bliss club was the happening place...main entertainment was also good.

Food: The buffet was average at best. OSheehans was a good lunch option. Gina was a good dinner change...the main dining rooms were pretty good...but varied day to day. I did not try the premium dining.

I had a mini suite on deck 11 and loved the room.

Finally getting on and off the ship was pretty bad. Just be mentally ready for that.

I will say the service from the staff on the ship was excellent. Very hard working people.

Lake Powell Guy's Full Rating Summary

Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony

Excellent cabin...roomy and quiet.

Lake Powell Guy