Norwegian Epic Cruise Review

Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by chuckhaley

• Sail Date: Dec 2019
  • Destination: the Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

You don’t go to Bonaire. According to the port authorities in Bonaire, the Epic is not registered to port there ever. The port is being sold as part of the curies package next month, Jan. 2020, but this ship is not allowed to port in Bonaire, apparently because of its size. It was sold to us as part of the package but 60 days out we received a letter that we would instead, enjoy our balconies’ for an extra day. This is fraud!

Our first day at see was spent in the harbor. When I complained I was told, “You’re on the ship so it counts”. Not in my book. Our seven day cruise was cut short to 6 days without compensation.

Then there is the part everyone else is talking about. The heinous way were treated at the port. Over a mile backup in traffic, five hour delay getting boarded, no help from crew or security. People jumping line, passengers finding wheel chairs for the elderly and a few people passed out and one in front of me was injured.

I was told by a member at the Latitudes counter that the ship had been boarded one day before and the Coast Guard required the papers of all crew members. It was not stated but implied that many of them were not legal. Then the Coast Guard again boarded the same day we were to ship out. According to the latitudes representative they searched and the crew had to present papers again. This set them behind by 12 hours. I have no way to neither prove nor disprove his accounting.

Beyond this, our excursion reservations were lost, and when we reported this to Haley, we were told it was our fault for not taking care of it the day we launched. Everyone else in our group got theirs but not us. We also found out we were supposed to get a bottle of champion , but that never came. When I asked for it I was then made to feel like I was asking for an extra bottle.

Here is what the company needs to hear from me. My wife and I were planning on surprising our family with a cruise with Norwegian for May or 202. Because of the discount of booking on while on board we decided to wait until we were at sea to book this trip, total of 6 tickets, three rooms. Because of the inability of Norwegian to live up to its reputation we have decided to go with another company. I know this will not break the company and it is all about the money. But you have lost a total of 12 customers for life because of you ham-handed dealings with me and my family.

A few odd things also happened. Our first morning I opened the drapes and a pair of men’s red under-wear came falling out at my feet. That was strange. Our apps failed and internet use was unreliable. Three contracts I wrote on the ship never made it to the recipients. After eating in the Garden café we noticed each day that stewards were staring agape out the windows as if this was their first day away from their home. While they were mesmerized at the vista our plates piled up and we ended up moving tables. I found it odd that there was not a single comfortable seat on the entire ship. it was as if it is a concerted effort to keep you moving. I was told that the black jack seats were very comfortable. I didn't play. One more odd thing. At the ice/water stations we were not allowed to fill out water bottles. Ice stations were usually empty of ice and when we asked for ice we were pointed to another station at a different part of the chip or another deck for ice.

One last warning. Don’t fall for the “please take a towel with you” trick. They plan on your losing your towel and then charging you $25 for every one that does not come back. Look at your cabin number on the sing out sheet as they sign you out a beach towels. Right beside that you see “price $25.00”

I do want to say that the entertainment was good and the food was good. I really enjoyed Doug, guitarist, and the dance company, Burn the Floor. I was put off by the main event being a drag show. Drag queens are not appropriate for family friendly cruises. I don’t know why the leadership at Epic doesn’t know this.

If I ever do cruise this line again it will never be out of PR nor will it be a big ship. It’s just not worth the overcrowding and lines after lines.

chuckhaley's Full Rating Summary

Balcony

Odd shaped. Can't fit more than two people at a time. Shower is at front door with a glass door viable from cabin door as well as glass door on commode. One can have no modesty if one sails with these folks.The sofa is convex shaped and very uncomfortable.

chuckhaley