Norwegian Bliss Cruise Review
1,207 Reviews

Bliss- Too big of a ship

Norwegian Bliss Cruise Review by sd2663

• Sail Date: Nov 2019
  • Destination: the Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Balcony Stateroom

So I was told after the fact that this was the first re positioning cruise for this ship. I think the ship is to big for me. There was not enough seats in the atrium. Guests were pushing people to get to seats. Elevators were always crowded. Someone made a suggestion to put escalators in to relieve the overcrowded elevators. Our last day on board was very cold so everyone was inside. This made for the inside of the ship to be very crowded. We had many issues but some positive reviews also. I also don't think that the ship is staffed correctly. Not enough staff to handle 4000+ guests.

Main dinning room- My mother asked for a piece of apple pie and was told it is not on the menu so she could not have it. The waiter would have to go to a different restaurant to get the pie and speak to his supervisor about leaving his station. Oh well that is your job and we as customers are paying to have apple pie if we want it. On that note the waitress (Kim) at The Local bar was amazing. She went out of her way to achieve cake for three family members celebrating their birthdays. She and other wait staff sang Happy Birthday. The bartenders worked very hard on this cruise. Even though the ship was full, I never really waited long for a drink. Around the pool and in the theater, there should be more wait staff. They should have more then one waiter in the atrium and the pool. In my package I had 3 specialty restaurants for my husband and I. The three specialty restaurants I attended were very tasty. I attended La Cucina, The Q, and Teppanyaki. The Q was just ok. I have had better barbecue food, however the staff was friendly and the restaurant itself was clean. We also relaxed in the District Brew House. Ryan was AWESOME! He started to get to know our family. He started to joke around with us and was very attentive. They have different beers on tap. It does remind me of a brewery here in NJ. You can relax, talk and drink beers with friends and family.

Tendering on the island- Tendering was chaotic. The cruise line has been tendering at this island for years. They should not bring a West Coast ship to the East coast if they can not handle the ports. We had to get a tender ticket group which I only found out about after I read the daily news letter. No announcements were made. By the time we got to the island we had 45 mins to eat. Beach was so crowded and we did not get a chair and had to sit at a picnic table. I should have never gotten off the ship. Staff had no clue on how to tender every guest. They were unable to answer questions about what the hold up was. We were at this private island an hour early. My tentative time to get off was 1200. I did not end up getting to the tender boat until 130pm. So unorganized.

Excursions- Waste of money. The excursion I took in Nassau, was not worth the money I paid for it. I did enjoy sitting and relaxing on the beach. The lunch that was offered was very good. The beach was not crowded. I paid $160 for my daughter and I to sit on a beach and eat lunch. Not worth the price. We went to Pearl Island. The island was clean and staff on the island very friendly and attentive.

Entertainment- The Cruise Director Jake and his staff made the cruise fun. There were different theme parties every night. The games we played were funny. Alex and Tiago were very fun to be around and interacted with every guest. Now onto the shows. You had to get a ticket for each show. Instead of just showing up to the theater and being let in for the show, you had to stand in a standby lane if you did not reserve a ticket. All complimentary entertainment should be first come first serve. I pay all this money to be put in a standby lane, yeah that is not good customer service. That theater holds 900 guests. The two shows that were complimentary were Jersey Boys and a show called Six. Six is about Henry VIII's six wives. I only saw Six. The actresses were very good and talented. I saw Jersey Boys when it was on tour in New Jersey. I did not get to see any of the comedians on the ship.

Disembarkation- Unorganized and staff did not know how to handle 4000 guests. We docked at approximately 2am. I understand customs do not arrive until 6am, however it should not take 3 hours to clear the ship. This clearing put us back an hour. We had a light blue luggage tag which is anytime. We were told to meet at the internet cafe because my father is handicapped and needs assistance with his wheelchair. Our light blue tag was to disembark at 815am. We put our name on the list for assistance and that we just needed a "pusher" because my father had his own wheelchair. I asked if we were able to push my father and get off by ourselves without a "pusher". We were told no. I asked this at 915 an hour after we were supposed to disembark. I finally asked again at 945 and was told to follow a crew member pushing another guest. Once we were cleared I was in my car at 1020, 2 hours after we were originally supposed to disembark. If you are able too, take your luggage with you on disembarkation. Do not wait until a certain time. If you do it on your own, you do not have to put your luggage out in the hallway the night before. You will be one of the first off the ship.

I will travel NCL again however not out of NYC and definitely not on the first re positioning cruise. This is our second cruise out of NYC that we have had problems with. I like traveling NCL. I hope this review does not persuade you from traveling on NCL. They offer very good on board deals like the adult beverage package and sometimes free 3rd and 4th guest. This is our 5th NCL cruise. We have taken 2 Royal Caribbean cruises too. Not a big fan of them and they are more expensive. We traveled with 8 people in our group. We had a great time despite all of the issues above. Love being with family. Hope this review has helped you.

sd2663's Full Rating Summary

Balcony Stateroom

Way to small for 4 people. I called several times to an NCL representative to get an upgrade, but the upgrade was for a capacity of two people. How can a mini suite only accomadate two people but not four. That does not make any sense. We were not able to upgrade and were stuck in this small balcony room. The problem was when we were all in the room trying to get get ready for dinner. There was no where to move. Room steward cleaned our room everyday and was friendly when we saw him in the hallway.

New York (Manhattan)

Embarkation was easy. Parking was across the street from terminal. We parked off site at Park right at 670 West 43rd st. If you are able to walk across the street to the parking after your cruise, do not get the white glove service. Not worth the extra money. They do reimburse you for the taxi ride.

Port Canaveral (Orlando)

Should have stayed on the ship. Nothing really to do. Ate at a great restaurant called Grills. No real shopping for souvenirs.

Great Stirrup Cay

Tendering was horrible. Read review above. Did not get to experience a full beach day due to may issues

Beach

Not worth the money. However this was the best day. My daughter and I relaxed on the beach and lunch was included. Not much to do on the beach but it was not crowded at all. Lunch was served by staff of Pearl Island. Lunch was very good, staff was friendly, and beach and island was clean.

sd2663