Carnival Legend Cruise Review

Carnival Legend Cruise Review by camorelli

• Sail Date: Nov 2019
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Aft-View Extended Balcony

We chose this cruise because we love Tampa and because my aunt and her husband recently moved to Roatan... we wanted to visit them. The price was right for the two of us (went without kids this time). We've found the Tampa airport and the Tampa cruise port to be so easy to get in and out of. We experienced the same this cruise.

The ship is definitely older and the decor wasn't our favorite, but we looked past that to just enjoy our time and the experience together. The staff was fantastic. They were constantly cleaning. Constantly. It seemed like every one was always smiling and saying hello. It really seemed like they wanted to make sure we were having a great time. We loved our housekeeping person, Linda. She was fantastic. We never noticed her in the room but it always looked great, was well stocked and her towel animals were fun! She asked us on the first day if we wanted to have her come once or twice. We said once was fine and we agreed on a mid-morning time. I also asked if I could have a robe to use and she was happy to give me one to use.

We had Your Time Dining in Truffles Dining Room Deck 3. We usually went down around 7pm, sometimes closer to 8pm. Our first night, we sat in Volodymyr's section and he was FANTASTIC! We didn't automatically get him the 2nd night and weren't as impressed so we requested Volodymyr on the 3rd night. The hostess, Ava, recognized us immediately every night after that and always told the hostess running the computer "they would like to sit in Volodymyr's section" without us even saying it. Mila would seat us, she also knew that we loved Volodymyr. Here's why we loved him... he was professional, charming, informed us of the dinner selections and his favorites, would give us honest feedback if we asked about certain dishes, greeted us by name as soon as we arrived, acknowledged us even if we weren't at his table yet, knew our likes and dislikes after the 2nd dinner (knew that my husband loves fish and that I like meat and based recommendations off that, that we didn't want the bread plate, that my husband wants a straw for his drink, that he likes tons of ice, that he'd want coffee and fruit plate while I would try different desserts), and he was efficient and quick. His team, John and Franklin, also were very good.

We loved Milan, the bartender. We found him in Dreamteam sports bar every night and sometimes at the Serenity Bar too. He was attentive and friendly.

Our cruise director was Frankie. He was super fun! We saw him throughout the ship at different activities... Carnival Quest, 80's Music Trivia, the shows in Follies Theater, greeting guests back on to the ship, the dance parties, etc. Fun guy. We just hope Carnival Quest stays. He said that it might go away for safety reasons but we love it so much... such a fun game!!!

Our 1st port was Grand Cayman. Weather was 78 or 80 and sunny. We were on the first tender because of Faster to the Fun. We've been to this port once and did Stingray City with out kids. This time we just took a cab at $5 each to Royal Palms Beach Club. It was $2 to get in. $12 each chair rental and $15 for an umbrella. We didn't need an umbrella. We were only in port from like 7:30-2:15. The beach club was nice. It got full around 10am. We stayed until about 12:30. We walked around the downtown area for a little bit but I think we were back on board by 1.

Our 2nd port was Roatan, Honduras. My aunt recently moved here so we met her and her husband outside the port area. They took us to see their new home and West End village area. Then we went to Beachers casual restaurant on West Bay Beach. We walked out on to the sand and walked down a bit, got in the water and snorkled around "the wall." It was AWESOME snorkeling! It was free... we were doing it on our own, but we saw tons of colorful fish and fish schools. And the coral reef was amazing! She mentioned that the coral reef has changed a ton since they first saw it a year ago. People just don't take care of it. We saw one adult male standing on it and jumping off like a diving board. If she could've gotten closer to him, she would've said something to him. :( Afterwards, we had lunch and drinks at Beachers. It was a great day! We barely had time to shop in the port area but it was very nice (and decorated for Christmas). We did see the chairlift to the port beach but we didn't get to use it. Weather was 82 and sunny! Great port!

Our 3rd port was Belize. We planned on doing this on our own but at 7am (last second!). we bought a barrier reef snorkeling, swim with nurse sharks and stingrays, Caye Caulker island stop excursion. We loved it! The weather started out nice but got cloudy as we neared Caye Caulker. We snorkeled along the barrier reef. It was very cool but because of the weather, the water was kind of choppy and hard to see in. We did see some cool fish, including a barracuda that swam right past my face! While snorkeling, it started raining and by the time I was climbing the ladder, it was a torrential downpour. Oh well, we were wet anyways. It did feel cool for a bit while it rained and while we drove to the next water stop. Then the rain stopped and we stopped to swim with nurse sharks and stingrays. VERY COOL!!! After that, they stopped for a little surprise and we fed "baby" tarpon fish from the boat. Fun experience! Then we went to Caye Caulker and ate a pre-ordered lunch from the Lazy Lizard. We had a few minutes to walk around and then we returned to the boat. It rained on the way back again. I have to say that our boat and excursion crew were fabulous. The captain got us there safely when the weather got pretty crappy and choppy. And our the excursion leader, Javi, was so informative about the island. It was a fantastic excursion!

Our 4th port was Cozumel. We've been to Nachi Cocum before and also Paradise Beach (I think?). This time, we bought a Carnival excursion... twister boat to Isla Pasion. Fabulous!!! There were only 10 guests and 3 boat crew on the twister boat. It was a sunny and 82 degree day. They did 3-4 complete 360 turns with us on the way to the island! We got wet and it was amazing!!! Our group of 10 were people of all ages, including a couple who were celebrating their 50th anniversary that day. We were the first on the island with our pick of spots to sit/lay. Our group sat together and had fun sitting in the sun, drinking from the open bar, tequila tasting with Aida, eating the fantastic lunch (the chicken/onions and peppers was the best I've ever had) and playing the water balloon toss game. The time went way too quickly at this island. It was perfect! Highly recommend this excursion! We got 4 more 360's on the way back to the ship! We spent a little time shopping at Puerta Maya and then had fun watching the latecomers on the ship. Some people didn't take the ship departure time seriously. The last person, a single lady, sauntered up at 21 minutes beyond when we were supposed to be on board. Carnival had everything loaded up except the last gangway and a couple of officers waiting on this lady. She lucked out and made it on.

Debarkation was a breeze. We did self-assist and met on deck 3 at 7:30am with the Faster to the Fun folks. We walked off the ship at 8am. We got in a shared taxi van to the airport (we had a late flight so we got another rental car). We were in the airport by 8:25.

The only thing we were upset with on this cruise was the lack of available channels to watch college football on. I know, I know... we were on a cruise. But on Saturday, the game of the week was OSU vs Penn State. It had been advertised all week on the sports bars tvs. There was an entire bar full of people ready to watch the game and at 12pm, gameday switched off and they were showing Harvard vs. Yale. huh? Very upset crowd! They don't have Fox so we couldn't see the OSU game. They only have ESPN and ESPN2. So the michigan fans were excigted to see their game at 3:30 since it was on ESPN. But nope, not on the ship... Cricket came on and so did Auburn vs Samford or something like that. Big problem for a lot of folks.

Other than that, we had a fantastic cruise on the Carnival Legend!

camorelli's Full Rating Summary

Aft-View Extended Balcony

We loved our Cabin 4230 on the Carnival Legend! It was an Aft-Extended Balcony cabin. Aft-extended balcony cabins are on decks 4-8. I didn't get to look at the cabins above us, but ours had a "ceiling" on the balcony that extended to the railing, so we were fully covered if there had been any rain. I believe that cabins above us were partially covered or perhaps not at all. Because of the "ceiling", our balcony didn't get super hot. We absolutely loved this balcony. We were able to have the experience of the aft balcony without it being super hot or windy. If you stood at the railing, you could feel some breeze (I air dried my hair there a couple times). There was no breeze if you were away from the railing, which I appreciated while reading my book on the balcony.

I've read reviews about soot on the aft balcony furniture and railings. We didn't see any of that on ours.

Our balcony had one lounge chair and one upright chair and one table. It was perfect for the two of us.

We loved seeing the ship's wake as we traveled. It was so calming. And we had some fantastic sunsets out there! We also loved being able to see where we were pulling in to or out of at port. I enjoyed watching the process of docking and tying up the ship.

I also loved the location of our cabin. There was zero traffic by our cabin. Nobody is walking around back there that doesn't have a room right there. And we actually only saw our neighbors to the left once. Saw the neighbors to the left of them twice. And never saw our neighbors to the right of us. The balcony to the right of us was the aft wrap - it connects to our room if needed. We were also right across the hall from the launderette. My husband used it once but I never saw anybody else use it. It was $3 for a wash load. He hung dry those few items in our cabin but I believe it was $3 for a dry load too. That was charged to the sign and sail card.

I took hotel room cards to use in the room for the electricity thing... I read on here prior that you need to keep a card in a slot to have the electricity on. That wasn't the case for our cabin. No card needed and no slot found. The electricity was on all the time.

There was a bed, a couch, a chair, a table, a stool by the dressing mirror, a safe, a small fridge that kept everything cool, and three closets (1 had shelves). We had plenty of storage for all of our stuff (2 of us).

We were above the dining room but the noise wasn't an issue. We heard the dinner music (when the servers dance) once or twice but it was kind of muffled and it was while we were getting ready for dinner. It wasn't an issue.

We highly recommend this room!

Shark & Stingray Encounter

The excursion was excellent. Javi and his crew were very informative of their island, very professional and friendly. They loved explaining about their island and they were very helpful to us while snorkeling. They definitely wanted to make sure we all had a great time! I highly recommend this trip!

View All 48 Shark & Stingray Encounter Reviews
Jet Boat Tour

We took the Twister boat to Isla Pasion. It was fabulous! I can't remember their names... Aldo, Pepe and (Alberto?) Our twister boat did 3-4 360 degree turns both ways... we got wet and it was awesome! We were the first to the island... it was perfection! So clean and beautiful! Super fun day! Great food, great open car, great tequila tasting, fun with new friends! Highly recommend! One of our favorite excursions ever!!

View All 26 Jet Boat Tour Reviews