3. Celebrity Silhouette
As a retired London travel agent I researched this cruise ship and knew the food would be very good. We booked 6.30 pm in Main Dining Room. Only went for first night as awful. Requested table for two for 50th anniversary. Put on table for six but with just four people on it. The noise from our floor and the one immediately above which was a sort of mezzanine floor was appalling. The acoustics were the worst my partner has ever experienced and he is a sound expert. He states that noise from the two restaurants was reverberating on the roof and you could not speak to the person seated next door. He said there was reflective sheeting making it worse and that there needs to be acoustic tiling on the ceiling. Our two companions opposite had to try lip reading. The man had hearing problems anyway so made it worse. The food was well below anything I have eaten on a ship. Prawns thrown on some lettuce and sauce from someone else that I could not hear. It got tossed on. The prawns had tails on and were then covered in sauce. You could not eat it without removing the prawns one by one and cutting them up. There were small sharp bones in the chicken which was badly presented, apples in pie not cooked. Waiters all over the place. Seemed confused. The chairs were very heavy like old fashioned lounge chairs and you could not move them in and out once seated. They were too low. One Head Waiter I met from another restaurant onboard agreed with the seating problem. Lighting also bad. No good points at all. Avoid. In total contrast The Oceanview Buffet Restaurant was the total reverse. Excellent food and friendly staff. Good seating. Lunches were busiest from what I observed. I saw a turkey being carried by two men which was about the size of a pig and a beef joint that would have fed the ship. Gob smacking trifles and cakes. Cannot recommend highly enough. Even if you did not like what you saw there was a food station that cooked you steak, chicken breasts or pork chops on a griddle while you waited. Look at this restaurant on the various utubes. We had breakfast here as late arriving and most others had stopped serving. Again excellent. Had all meals here. Did not try speciality restaurants but heard good reports. Except one man staying in a suite and able to eat in Luminaire restaurant stated that they were trying to be too clever with the food and he preferred the buffet. Nothing in the buffet area was too much trouble and people chatted to each other. Dining rating solely on Oceanview experience. We only saw one show as we had travelled for a complete rest after a hectic year. The show was spectacular. Aerialists and huge animals made from what looks like silk. This might be on Utube. Unsure. Probably one of the best shows I have seen. Room service was excellent and food good. They even rang to see if it had arrived and what you thought of it. I would have liked some chairs along the side of the open decks rather than just at both ends. It was all loungers about three rows deep. Getting on and off them is not easy and you do not always want to lay down. Felt seats generally were always too low for most of the target market. A lot need reupholstering. This seems a general problem with cruises. Even though there are a few fixable things I enjoyed this cruise enormously. Friendly helpful crew, excellent buffet food. I will travel again.

Mostly very good but few problems.

Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by Blackbirds

Dining rating solely on Oceanview experience.

Blackbirds’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Silhouette price drops

Deluxe Veranda
Cabin 1A 8281
Very large balcony. WC bowl was black until last few days. I thought it was due to needing refurb! Sheets did not cover the mattress toppers and usually became untucked out in the night resulting in my ending up on the mattress topper. I am not a restless sleeper either.
My steward seemed to find anything I said hysterically funny. I complained that a stained pillow was put on my side instead of being replaced (due to a health problem). It had been on partner’s side! There was no sign to avoid steward coming in. I had forgotten about these and got one finally. Our steward seemed to think we had to be out of the cabin very early as his cart was always outside next door awaiting our departure. I would avoid booking this cabin again for these reasons. Hopefully this was a one off. P & O
bedding is excellent. A real disappointment on Silhouette. Sheets are made partway down the bed and are made up so tight you have to use all your strength to pull them up again. As stated above the sheets were too small to cover mattress and mattress toppers. Curtains were a bit flimsy. Scared to pull them as so delicate. Only needed to If beside a port and changing as I was by the window.
Panorama Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins