MSC Meraviglia Cruise Review

Beautiful & bold.....but too big for me

MSC Meraviglia Cruise Review by zany janey

• Sail Date: Sep 2019
  • Destination: Transatlantic
  • Cabin Type: Yacht Club Inside Stateroom

Selected this cruise to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary so special occasion = the Yacht Club experience. I'm so glad I chose the YC as the rest of the ship was just way too big for me.

One of the reasons I paid so much for YC was priority embarkation and disembarkation. Unfortunately there was no priority embarkation at Kiel, despite what I'd been told beforehand and it really was organised chaos. Worst part was disembarkation at NY Manhattan terminal when YC staff were told to bring a group of us near the front of the line and then leave us. Getting verbally abused by other -albeit frustrated - passengers as we tried to get off was bad enough; I couldn't believe it when they started to physically push us out of the way and security just ignored it. I still had the bruises on the flight home !!

YC was a lovely sanctuary because the ship is HUGE....always something going on. Lots of bars, places to eat and lots to do - night and day.

I was disappointed by the food in the YC restaurant with overcooked meats, dishes missing items, etc. Best meal I had was in Butchers Cut - well worth the extra as the steak was delicious. Make sure you go hungry as there's lots included in the price. Service in YC was incredible; the staff there were amazing. Thought it was a bit hit & miss in the rest of the ship though.

Despite it being a TA crossing, we had ample port visits either side. Iceland was amazing and somewhere I'm looking forward to visiting again. Sailing into NYC was pretty cool too and coming back to the ship after a day and night out was great because you really couldn't miss the MSC Meraviglia once you got close to the Manhattan waterline.

We didn't go to the shows - the only one we booked (Cirque du Soleil) was cancelled quite a few times, we were told it was due to the rough sailing so that's understandable I guess.

Would I sail on her again? Probably not - she's lovely and clean but just too big for me.

zany janey's Full Rating Summary

Yacht Club Inside Stateroom

This was my first time in an inside cabin - & probably my last. I came off with a terrible cough from the AC in the cabin and the dust was unbelievable - my phone was covered in it every morning and you could see the dust swirling around from the light fittings whenever you were in the cabin. Storage was an issue too - just 2 drawers for us to last 17 nights and a closet which would only take about 12 hangers in all.

Not my most favourite cabin to date and has put me off trying an inside cabin again.

Kiel

Picked up from airport by MSC and brought by coach. Embarkation was a nightmare though - queuing up for nearly 3 hours in the sun is not the best way to start a cruise

Copenhagen

Got the MSC shuttle bus in and did our own tour of the city. Great place for walking around and stopping off now & again for a beer in one of the many bars

City Tour

Started off visiting the Giants Causeway then made our way to the Bushmill distillery for a quick whisky tasting experience, before finishing off on a tour of the peace wall & surrounding areas. Very interesting and I hadn't realised just how beautiful the coastline around Belfast was.

View All 29 City Tour Reviews
Reykjavik

Took the MSC shuttle bus and were completely ripped off on it. Absolute chaos getting back on in the city with no MSC rep checking tickets and there were quite a few disabled passengers who were left stranded. A lot of people complained when we got back...unfortunately the staff were completely disinterested and unapologetic.

The city was lovely though and as we stopped overnight, we did a Northern lights tour after coming back from a walk around the city, with a snorkelling experience in the Silfra fissure the next day. What an amazing place Iceland is.

St. John's (Newfoundland)

Just ok - we did our own thing, walking around and having lunch before stopping off at a few microbreweries as we made our way back to the ship. St John's has a few areas which are quite rundown though - and some very dodgy bars !!

Brewery Tour

Visited 5 microbreweries with this tour. The guide was ok; the beer (and cider) was better.

View All 3 Brewery Tour Reviews

Fantastic experience - and lots of walking too. Some excellent places I wouldn't have found without the guide. Recommended.

View All undefined undefined Reviews