Celebrity Edge Cruise Review

Celebrity Edge Cruise Review by cruisin_123

• Sail Date: Sep 2019
  • Destination: the Eastern Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View Stateroom

This was our first Celebrity cruise, 4th overall cruise. It was just my husband and myself travelling. We were celebrating my 50th birthday. We typically pick cruises based on itinerary first, ship second. We picked the Edge because it is a new ship and we wanted to experience that. We were fortunate enough to be able to book about 2 weeks before the prices shot up out of range.

The ship:

The ship did not disappoint. We marveled at every detail. The public spaces were well laid out. I especially liked the size of the outdoor pool, which, when not busy, is large enough to do laps in. I know previous reviews complained about the lack of bars and seating in the martini bar. We never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a drink (except in the club, where their bar was seriously lacking). We did spend most of our time at the martini bar as their bartenders were top notch. We only walked through Eden once, never saw a show, so we can't comment on that. Eden had some nice quiet spaces, though the prices of their drinks exceeded what our allotment was on the premium package. We went to most shows, especially the ones that featured live music. We loved the live music shows (not the theatrical ones), though one complaint on this is the over-the-top autotuning. The Whitney Houston tribute singer was so autotuned, it made her sound horrible! The comedian was fantastic!

Embarkation/disembarkation:

We were on the ship within 10 minutes of arriving to the port. Disembarkation was the same.

Our stateroom:

We had an oceanview stateroom. This room had plenty of space to move around in. My only comment on this is that it would be nice if the bed had an additional 6 inches of space between it and the window. It was a tight squeeze to get in on that side. There were also no outlets on the window-side of the bed, so I had to charge my phone on the other side. With no clocks in the room, and not being able to keep my phone charged on that side, it was difficult to determine the time when waking up in the middle of the night. There was plenty of closet space for all of our belongings for the 11 night voyage (I know I packed a good 8 days worth of clothes to wear day and night).

Activities:

This itinerary was port-intensive with only 2 sea days. I felt there was plenty to do if you wanted it. We went to most shows, spent lots of time in the martini bar, theater, and the club. I even attended one talk about the Naples port. I actually wished I had gone to some of the other talks, it was so informative. During the sea days, there were trivia, martini tastings, pool-side games, etc. We chose to chill during those days, as we were exhausted from the port days. The only comment here was the lack of channels and free movies in the stateroom. A couple of nights we retired early due to having to get up early the next day to go to port. Who wants to pay $14.99 to watch a movie that we are just going to fall asleep to?

Service:

The service was top notch on the EDGE. Captain Kate and crew did a phenomenal job rearranging ports so we could see Santorini and Mykonos. The crew was extremely responsive to our needs, from the guest relations, to our stateroom attendant, to the bar tenders and waiters. Our favorite main dining room was Tuscan, due to its outstanding service. We felt Cypress was a little disorganized in the service department. The food was excellent in all places. We didn't dine at any specialty restaurants, so we can't comment on those.

Ports:

All of the ports were a joy to visit, except Sicily and Santorini. I think it was partially our fault for not researching Sicily enough. Definitely get a shore excursion as the port town is not too impressive. We liked Santorini, though we hated having to climb up the hill to get there. There were 4 ships in port, with a 2 hour wait for the tram. We walked up the steps. This was a big mistake, and is enough to make us not want to ever go to Santorini again. It was very dangerous as it is the same path the mules take as they carry passengers up the mountain. I felt the passengers riding the mules weren't safe either as the mules had a mind of their own, were not tethered, and could basically walk (or trip) any way they wanted up the hill. When they dropped the passengers off, it was a stampede as they ran back down the hill. The town of Fira was nice, but not as beautiful as some of the other islands we visited on this trip. The island is basically overrun with tourists. It is difficult to walk through the narrow streets to navigate through the crowds and vehicles, which appeared to drive anywhere!

cruisin_123's Full Rating Summary

Ocean View Stateroom
Cabin 07 3188

Santorini

The island cannot handle the number of tourists that were there that day. We felt if we wanted to see Fira, that we had to walk up the path, which was very dangerous due to the mules walking into you.

Catania

We didn't love it. We spent an hour and went back to the ship.

Athens (Piraeus)

We hired a private tour guide, who took us all over the ancient parts of the city. This was a wonderful experience.

Mykonos

We loved this island. Pretty walkable, lots of traffic. Very nice.

Amalfi Coast

This was a long tour. I had a great time watching our tour bus navigate the switchbacks on the hillside of the coast. Others did not have such a positive experience. If you get motion sick, it might be best to choose another tour.

View All 284 Amalfi Coast Reviews