3. Viking Alruna
My wife and I did this cruise because we wanted to experience a different type of cruise experience. We usually cruise on sailing ships (e.g. Windjammer Barefoot Cruises, Star Clippers, Windstar) and we generally like smaller ships. We were worried about the water levels and if we would have to change ships midway - fortunately, we were able to stay on the ship through the whole cruise. The ship itself is beautiful, with great rooms. We enjoyed having a balcony where we can watch the swans when at port and also the locks when changing to different parts ofthe Rhine. The food was excellent, as were the wine choices. We generally stuck to the house wines and id not get a drink package, because we are not big drinkers. We met friendly people while on board. Had many pleasant conversations. The view while on the river were spectacular. My wife was able to get many beautiful photos. We enjoyed the off shore excursions, especially the dinner at the monastery. However, we weren't too thrilled about braving the storm to check out the windmills. In fact, my wife would not walk to the windmill, due to the large amount of rain falling. Unfortunately, she had an upper respiratory infection, that worsened. Overall, a fun trip.

RHINE GETAWAY IN EARLY WINTER