3. Norwegian Getaway
We traveled as a family of four in August 2019, setting sail from Copenhagen with stops in Warnemunde, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, Tallinn, and Stockholm. My son is 13 and my daughter is 10. We chose the Getaway because we wanted the amenities of a large ship with lots to do for families, thinking that we might even leave the kids on the ship for some of the smaller ports. Overall, we loved the vacation and thought the ship met our needs pretty well. There were a few things I wish were better: - The food was absolutely dismal. I've been on a Norwegian ship before so I knew not to expect a gourmet experience, but the buffet actually smelled so bad I could hardly stand to be in the room with it, and the taste was just poor. I was desperate for fresh fruit and veg by the end of the week. The main restaurants were also spotty, although we did have decent sushi at the sushi place and the seafood restaurant was pretty good. - The ship was PACKED at all times, and it was quite hard to find a quiet spot. I expected this, but it really does hit you what it's like to be on a boat with thousands of other people. It really came to a head with the insane debarkation process for St. Petersburg, where they tried to assign people to groups and it generally became an angry free-for-all. - The activities were kind of lame. I think the shows and stuff appeal to my mom's age, but there's nothing really there for adults in their 30s and 40s. We were all bored for the sea days. My kids did like things like the ropes course and the mini golf, but you can really only do that so many times before it gets old. - My 10-year-old really liked Splash Academy, but my 13-year-old went to Entourage once, proclaimed it 'lame' and never went back. I don't blame NCL entirely, it's a tough age group to please. - Half the treadmills in the gym were broken. I think I would use this ship again, but I'd definitely upgrade to the Haven for a more premium experience. If I had to eat breakfast on this ship one more time, I think I would have puked.

Great itinerary, mediocre ship

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by abbydabba

• Sail Date: August 2019
  • Destination: Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Family Balcony Stateroom

- Half the treadmills in the gym were broken.

abbydabba’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 10 to 12
Ages 13 to 15
Get Norwegian Getaway price drops

Family Balcony Stateroom
Cabin B2 12844
It was a nice enough space. The steward pulled down the bunk bed so each kid had their own bed. Both kids said their bed was way too firm and were eager to get home to their own bed. But it worked, especially since we had the balcony. A small point, but the NCL-provided toiletries are awful. Next time I'll bring my own.
Deck 12 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins