3. Caribbean Princess
This was an adult only trip with me and my boyfriend We’ve always traveled on mega ships with kids and we wanted to try this ship out but knew that this was not something for the kids as they’re used to mega RCCL ships with lost of entertainment. The embarkation was super fast and smooth, our room was even ready when coming onboard! (That’s a nice surprise becaus RCCL makes you wait for the room for hours!) The ship has been refurbished and it’s shows in several places, but a lot of the lounges and walkways were dated. We had a balcony room. The rooms are nice but also a little dated. Mattresses/ pillows/comforters are super comfy, we slept like babies all week! The medallion makes it easy to enter rooms and worked great for us using it at bars where their tablets sensed us approaching and our names and pictures would pop up in their screen without us even having to scan the medallion for payment. Buffet was a disappointment. It looked like a good size buffet but there were not many choices, mostly side dishes and items for salads. Desserts were also disappointing. I have to say that RCCL truly our does it self in this department comparing to other cruise lines. I was hoping for some different, ethnic foods to try at the buffet but there was nothing. One night Indian style okra was served with rice, it’s was ok. The next day the left overs were served again. There was just nothing good at any day that we went. The good part is the way they run the buffet, there’s always one side open and you can walk in for water, tea and food if you’re hungry. There’s never a down time when the buffet is closed due to turnover from i.e. lunch to dinner, as we’ve experienced on other cruises. There are also many different options, Steamers had free lunch which alternates Raman noodle bar and Mongolian buffet (stir fry). There also a pizza place on deck 15 and Salty Dog where they serve burgers and hot dogs. The traditional dining was just OK. The wait staff is friendly and nice, but again, nothing as professional and efficient as other cruise lines. Waiters were not very personable and we never even knew their names. Entertainment on the ship was ok. I wish that there were more adult comedy shows as the cruise caters more to adults. We stopped at Grand Cayman where we did a stingray excursion that we booked with a third party because the cruise excursion was sold out and we were put on a wait list. I actually liked the third party one better because it was early in the morning before all the crowds arrive at the stingray spot and we also only made one more stop to snorkel, so we were done early. We ate at a local restaurant and went Bach to the ship. Next was Roatan where we rented a car and drove to west bay beach. Well, what a horrible experience that was. The beach was overfilled with tourist from ships and those staying at the resorts. People were literally rubbing shoulders in the water and the ocean was all murky from the sunscreen. Vendors harassing everywhere, if not to buy something then for a massage. We paid $20/pp to get into Paradise Beach resort and we’re told the price included a beach chair and umbrella. When we walked out on the beach, there were no chair or umbrellas available. The attendant offered to bring out two chairs and squeeze them in between the already packed tiny square of beach that belonged to the resort but said that they didn’t have the “free” umbrellas and we’d have to pay for one. So we already had spent $40 and now they wanted more. After saying there for 20 minutes, looking for a spot and arguing about the umbrella, we decided to just leave. We went back to the gate where we were charged the entrance fee and asked if they’d give us our money back since they didn’t have beach chairs or umbrellas. Nope. They refused. Didn’t even want to look at us. We got in our rental and drive off to find a free, remote beach where there aren’t 1000’s of people and we found just that! The locals weren’t cooperating in giving us directions to a less busy beach, they all get a kick back for the people they bring to the busy resorts, so we looked it up on the map and drive off and buy was it worth it. The west bay beach was truly horrific. Beautiful place but so over crowded. Next port was Belize, we didn’t do any excursions but wanted to walk around and take a picture at the Belize sign. Well, we could barely make it out of the port. The vendors formed a wall that we had to walk through, asking us to buy, take an excursion, braid our hair etc. small kids were also asking for $5. It was horrible. We ran over to the sign where we were asked for money and then ran right back to the port where they could get in. Next was Cozumel. We had planned on renting a car like we always do when we’re there but after getting really sick from the Mongolian buffet at the ship, we had no energy so we walked around the port, stopped at Fat Tuesday and went back to ship. Back to Fort Lauderdale next morning with a easy stress free disembarkation unlike other ships. Those are the worst days because I always feel like everyone’s rushing, they want you out of the room etc. We didn’t feel like that at all - and somehow they still manage to have rooms ready for people embarking way before other cruise lines do. Rooms have to be vacated by 8.30. Other things; the ship shakes and vibrates a lot! When sitting at the buffet, our glasses litter lot were sliding on the table from the vibration and it was maki g me sick to my stomach and hard to eat. The waitress told us that it’s something on that particular side of the boat, that it shakes so much. This ship is comparable with RCCL Enchantment of the Seas; it’s not that big, doesn’t have that many shops and the “happening place” is the piazza. Coffee on the ship is undrinkable. I don’t have coffee for almost a week. We bought coffee by the ice cream bar and it was a little better than the buffet. They do have good movies On Demand that you can watch in your cabin for free. Would I bring my kids on this ship? No. There’s not much to do, no zip lines, no flo riders, they wouldn’t like the buffet, not many pools like they’re used to, movie theater or ice skating, but that’s only because they’ve seen the best and we’ve been on more family friendly cruises. This definitely caters to an older clientele. The ship has lots of lounges and bars, I think 11 of them! People sit and play cards, games etc. Would I go again? Maybe another adult cruise.

Good, but I’m not impressed

Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by mimimaren

They do have good movies On Demand that you can watch in your cabin for free.

Would I go again? Maybe another adult cruise.
mimimaren’s Full Rating Summary
Get Caribbean Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BA
Nice but a little dated with rounded wood edges and formica combo. Very comfortable mattress and pillows!
Aloha Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Beach
    Went to west bay beach and got scammed into paying $40 for beach chair and umbrella that they didn't have because the place was over crowded. Beach was over filled with tourist and vendors, no place to swim.