3. Norwegian Escape
We chose this cruise because we had a limited time-frame to book and because it left out of NYC. I like that we don’t have to fly. We always park at the pier it’s $40 a day and it’s the closest parking. There are other options such as Uber and spot hero to find close parking but this works best for us. We have been to Bermuda before and we really liked it. Especially the fact the boat is in port over a 3 day period. We arrived at the pier about 11:00 and we had hardly any line to wait in. We dropped the luggage off with the porters (who work in part for tips $1-$2 a bag is standard. We wanted to avoid the craziness of the buffet for lunch so we just had some water and soft drinks in the starlight bar next to the casino because our room was not ready. Once it was we went up to the mini-suite we had bid on and won ($50) it had a larger bathroom with a multi jet larger shower and a double sink. The bed was a king (2 twins pushed together) it was not very comfy (the MSC bed was a foam bed ) very thin foam. Pillows were ok. The closet had sliding doors with several shelves (plenty of storage for 2) on one side and a bar with hangers on the other side. There is a small safe (4 digit type) in on one of the shelves. One thing we noticed was that the lights on either side of the bed had usb plugs to charge phones, iPads etc. the vanity area has two three prong plugs and one European plug. We always bring a power strip (non-powersurge type) so there are plenty of spots for us to charge things. There is a small coffee pot that uses pods, not a Keurig. They provide coffee decaf tea, cream, sugars and cups. It’s small one cup. They did away with the ice bucket and I noticed the stewards didn’t have a cooler with ice in the hall anymore. So think ahead of you want ice you have to get it from the buffet. The hair dryer is an economy type that is slow, but not having to carry one from home makes up for it. The cube stool under the vanity has a hard top that is removable and acts as a tray. We use it on the small table on the balcony. The balcony was not very large, just enough room for 2 chairs and a small metal/plastic table. The a/c turns off when the slider is open so we had to be sure the door was closed properly or the a/c wound turn off. The mini bar is not included, it’s all extra, it’s expensive. Also the bottle of water (Aquafina) with the tag is extra. It’s better to buy a water package once on board. We bought on line and it was more money. They don’t allow you to bring water or soda on board any longer. Wine may be brought on, but they charge a corkage fee (not sure how much). The ship will provide distilled water if needed for a cpap although it was difficult at first for the crew to understand what we were talking about. The vanity has a small tv with a few news channels, a movie channel and a bunch of ship channels. The TV can be used to check your account and reservations, but sometimes it takes s while for things to show up. We had s cabin on the 13th floor, sadly sandwiched between a family who were back and forth slamming the doors and yelling across our balcony. So it was noisy. The last thing about the cabin is that there is slot right inside the door that controls the power for the room. It’s designed for you to put your room key in when you come in and take it out when you leave. Any card with a magnetic strip seems to work. I used a casino card from another casino and we were able to continue charging our electronics. The ship is really beautiful and clean. The elevators are ridiculous. There are 4000 plus people and only two sets of elevators. I use the stairs most times except when I had on heels. We didn’t go to any shows, game shows or slides because the boat was absolutely packed with kids. They seemed to be running unaccompanied in packs. Dashing on the elevators knocking wine all over me, no manners. We tried to partake in some of the games offered on the boat like the ropes, bocce, mini golf and pools and hot tubs, but they were often monopolized by the kids. They also ran the halls at all hours sounding much like a stampede. The hot tubs in the adult (H20 area) were full of adults who never seemed to leave. Somehow there were kids in the grotto area too. The movies they played in h2o were kid based. I kind of felt like I was in the wrong all the time wherever I went on the boat. One thing i did for myself was book the Thermal Spa, it’s expensive $199 but it’s worth it. It has a thermal pool, hot tub, heated loungers, a snow room (-14 degrees), steam, sauna etc. they have fruit infused ice water, hot tea and oranges to snack on and the best part no kids! Don’t get me wrong I like kids, but not when they are acting like maniacs. I will never again book a cruise when kids are out of school. I learned my lesson. . NCL likes to nickel and dime its passengers and it has only gotten worse with time. We don’t eat out often so when we vacation we like to eat in the better pay restaurants. I can’t comment on taste, savor or the Manhattan room because we didn’t eat there. We went to Cagney’s (who now charges extra for shrimp cocktail) the fish restaurant (which had an up-charge on top of the dining plan and additional charge on top of that for previously killed lobster) it wasn’t good. The food was almost always cold, including the sides. Steaks were overcooked, seafood under cooked. Soups bland. Went way down hill to save a buck! The buffet is and has always been ridiculous. The food cold, mostly carbs, bland tasting. Add to that a bunch of kids dashing in and out in front of people and it was less pleasant. One good thing was the crepes station in the late afternoon/evening. Lots of topping choices, fresh made. And the omelette stations provided fresh egg options if you asked. The toasters were slow and it usually took 3 trips to toast a muffin. That is most likely because so kids don’t burn themselves (in spite of the warning signs). The few issues we had were ignored by the customer service staff who must have been at the end of their contract. They were trying sometimes, but they were tired and beat. They didn’t seem to care much. The room steward was good. Sam I think his name was, or a variation of that. He did kind of take his time with cleaning the room, and there were no towel animals. The at sea days were beautiful weather wise, but there was no getting a lounger after 10:00 am. The crew tried with the little stickers (indicating they had not seen anyone using the chair in a while) but they gave up after a day. We had better picks on shore days. Bermuda is a beautiful, friendly island, but it was crowded at the beach. We purchased two day bus/ferry passes somewhere in the $31.50 per person. We were able to go all over the island by bus and ferry to Hamilton. The bus hub was in Hamilton and all busses started out there. I think pink poles (at bus stops) brought you to Hamilton and blue poles brought you away from Hamilton. This time around we went to the small aquarium/zoo and it was (for the price) a fine way to kill two hours. NCL purchased an older high speed ferry from Block Island RI (I think I remember seeing it a few years ago before the refurbishment) and NCL uses it to bring people out to St George. It’s a nice 45 min ride. Of course the only rain we had the whole trip was just when we were heading to tobacco beach. So we went to the Fantasy Caves instead. We went to Crystal Caves last time. They were beautiful and the guide let us pose for pictures with ”Simba” which was a broken stalagmite that everyone seems to hold up the way Rafiki held up Simba in the Lion King. It was fun. We went over to the bar/restaurant The Swizzle Inn. Food was excellent. The final day we spent at the royal Naval Dockyard Shopping and having lunch at the Frog and Onion. I recommend the brisket sandwich. Then we were back on board to do as many with balcony’s do: watch the people who get back to the ship late.

Too many kids, crew tired and mad

Norwegian Escape Cruise Review by Mlap

• Sail Date: June 2019
  • Destination: Bermuda
  • Cabin Type: Mid-ship Mini-Suite with Balcony

Mlap’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Escape price drops

Mid-ship Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MB 13894
13th floor. Mid ship balcony mini-suite. Large multi-jet shower. Double sink. King bed (two twins pushed together) not very comfortable. Closet had plenty of storage. Small safe. Full length mirror. Irons and ironing boards were available. Bedside lights have USB ports to charge electronics. Vanity has coffee pot. Fridge has cash minibar. Fridge not very cold. Balcony small 2 chairs one small table. The top stool under the vanity is removable and can act as a tray to use outside on the balcony. Room steward was good kept room clean. Can’t remember the stateroom number.
Deck 13 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Aquarium
    The aquarium was small but it was nice and informative. The grounds were really pretty.
  • Crystal Caves
    The cave was nice. It had quite a few steps down and then back out if someone has mobility issues I don't recommend this tour. Got to take a picture with "Simba" the stalactite.
    View All 56 Crystal Caves Reviews
  • Royal Naval Dockyard
    The dockyard is the home-base for the ship. It is safe. They have a gate that is locked at night and security people on staff. There were a few people pan-handling during the day but overall there isn't much of that anywhere on the island. There is a pharmacy at the dockyard that has a small pastry counter with aeesome Johnny Dogs (Johnny bread wrapped around a hotdog) and donuts, pastry and muffins. We brought NCL water bottles and refilled them with spring water we bought and we were allowed to keep them. There are restaurants at the dockyard that are a little pricey but good. We didn't do Dolphin Quest but that is housed at the Dockyard. There is the clock tower mall which had some upscale jewelry and clothing shops. There is a small beach (Snorkel Park) that has a charge to enter. It has water sports equipment and a few bars. We went in at about dusk and walked around (no charge) and we noticed there was a lot of sharp glass on the beach, not polished glass like at the glass beach down the coast. I picked up several pieces of sharp glass. My suggestion if you plan to go to this beach is make sure you and your children have water shoes on at all times.
    View All 36 Royal Naval Dockyard Reviews