3. Anthem of the Seas
I normally don’t write reviews, but I feel that my review might help other families make a better decision when chosen a vacation. Especially those whom value the health and the well-being of their families and loved ones. Some readers may find my review absurd and exaggerated but everything I will be mentioning in this review is true. We’re very easy-going people and not at all picky or complainers but this horrible experience is what prompted me to write this review. Please read it to the end and see the attached photos. We’ve been cruising and traveling for the past 20 years with many different cruise ship companies. The Anthem of the Seas was our 8th cruise with Royal Caribbean and most likely will be our last cruise with RC. Our first cruise with Royal Caribbean was onboard the Explorer of the Seas when it was a brand-new ship back in the early 2000’s. The difference between my first and last cruise with RC is like night and day! Royal Caribbean’s quality control, housekeeping, guest relations and overall services have dropped drastically over the past few years since our first cruise with them. Cabin: Upon entering my state room onboard, the Anthem of the Seas, I noticed a very strong human body odor. I picked up the blanket that’s on the bed and to my surprise the sheets were never changed from the previous guests! The sheets that are supposed to be white were a shade of yellow and filthy. I took a closer look and there was multiple human hair on the bed sheet. My two sons, whom are asthmatic, started to have asthma attacks. Luckily, we had two portable nebulizers with us for the boys. We walked out of the room to an open area on the 5th deck to get some fresh air. I returned to the room by myself to further inspect the room before my family can return to it. My findings were disturbing! Besides the filthy bed, the floor in the room was never vacuumed. The bathroom had more human hair in multiple places. But that’s not all! Mold! Yes, you read that correctly! Mold in multiple locations in the shower area. I walked around the room and found dust in every corner of the room. I took some photos and went to guest relations to bring it to their attention. The assistant director of guest relations showed up after the guest relations staff member called her to investigate the matter. She greeted me and heard what I had to say and then turns around and tells me that unfortunately due to fact that the ship is fully booked, she cannot upgrade my room or provide a different room for us!!! I said, madam, I’m not here to ask for an upgrade or a free lunch! I’m asking to have my room cleaned properly. I explained that my children suffer from asthma and that I have photos of the horrible sanitary conditions in the room. She asked to see the photos and I showed it to her. She then says that she is going to contact the directory of housekeeping to bring it to his attention and that the matter will be resolved immediately. That immediately promise was never fulfilled. I went back to the room to take my luggage in and went about my business with the family. Again, I went back to the room after lunch thinking that the room must be cleaned since it’s been over four hours since I brought it to their attention and to my surprise nothing was done!!!! After dinner we returned to the room and noticed that the room was vacuumed but nothing else was done. The mold is still there, the hair is still there, and the dust was also still there in every corner of the room. I made a second and final attempt to have the room properly cleaned and like the first attempt, I was promised that it will be cleaned immediately!!! On the 4th day of the cruise they removed the mold, but the hair and dust was still there in every corner of the room until the day we left the ship. The room was never cleaned properly. I never made a 3rd attempt to get the room cleaned because after 20+ years of traveling, I knew better not to ask a third time because if they truly cared, they would have cleaned it the first time I brought it to their attention. Dining: I've never been on a cruise where I had to wait on a long line to enter a restaurant. Even though we stopped by the dinning room on the 4th floor upon boarding to make reservation for the entire vacation, we had to wait on a long wait line every single night. The waiters and staff were friendly and helpful, but the overall service was terrible. Bread and water sometimes took more then 20 minutes to come to the table, appetizers would take another 30 minutes after that and main meal about 45 later!!! Completely unacceptable especially when you have young children whom are hungry and whom waited out side restaurant for 30+ minutes to get in and another hour and half to eat. Most times we had to take them for a slice of pizza before dinner to avoid the hassle of trying to have them patiently wait for the main meal. Food: The overall quality of food was okay although the main dining room and the Windjammer was boring at times because it’s almost the same menu every single night. Cleanness: The overall sanitary conditions on the ship was horrible. I noticed on multiple occasions that my table utensils had dry food on them. (see photos) Activities: You must reserve almost every activity there is. The play area was always crowded. I mean really crazy crowded. After the 2nd day my kids were not even interested to do any kind of activity because all the activities were always too crowded. The ship felt like it was overbooked. I know they can’t overbook it for safety reasons but that is how we felt. Other guests shared the same thoughts as well. There were many occasions where I had discussions with other guests about the ship and the overall services and we all felt the same. Disgusted! Service: The overall service was terrible Housekeeping was a disaster (read the cabin section above) food services was mixed; sometimes were better than others but overall terrible. Staff: Unlike how RC’s staff were back in the days (going back to the early 2000’s) most of the staff didn’t greet us or even smile. Some were very friendly, genuine and kind people, but the majority were not. I can’t blame them. The conditions RC puts these workers through would be tough on any human to live a normal life let alone be kind and friendly to anyone. Roberto, the housekeeping director was rude and obnoxious. The director of food services was a gentleman. I believe his name was Carlos. Usually the cruise director is all over the cruise making sure everyone is having fun! Never saw the cruise director and don’t know what she/he look like! Entertainment: The shows and the entertainers were okay, but defiantly nothing to be wowed about. Again, everything must be reserved ahead of time. Overall: The overall experience onboard the Anthem of The Seas was simply awful. Sadly, we’re Diamond Crown and Anchor members with about 8 cruises with RC but we’ve decided to never book another cruise with RC from this point on. We’re no longer recommending this cruise company to anyone. Thank you for reading.

I'm done with Royal Caribbean