3. Norwegian Getaway
We booked last minute to celebrate my husband's birthday and the New Year in the warm weather. We had an enjoyable and relaxing vacation, but the cruise itself was just average. I had been to many of the ports before and they are not the most exciting, so that was part of the issue. But what I did not like was the nickel and diming you to death on the ship. I know they need to get more money out of you - but this felt so blatant and more then most ships. This was our first Norwegian. We have done Carnival, RC, Celebrity and Azamara. There is no laundry and no way to iron clothes except to pay for it. That, along with $7.95 room service delivery charge really rubbed me the wrong way. We did the Steam Punk show and I have to say it was FANTASTIC. But they had charged double per person to sit on the floor. When we got there we were about two feet from the people who paid half of what we did, got the same food, and still had a guy with a huge head in front of me. What a rip off! Then the "jogging track" was so short it was almost a circle - it took 8 times around to make a mile. And, the worst part is you had to go past the rock climbing area - where everyone stood waiting to climb or to watch their kids climb. "Excuse me, excuse me - wake up!" every lap. What a joke! I will say that we appreciated the Spice H2O area to lay in the sun with no kids. Our shower was large (awesome!) and the bed was fantastic. Service in the specialty restaurants and the quality of the food was spotty. We had over boiled stone crab but awesome rib eyes.

Just average in all aspects.

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by NikkiMaree

• Sail Date: December 2018
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony
NikkiMaree’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Getaway price drops

Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MB 12802
The cabin was average sized, have no clue what would have been smaller than the mini suite. The bathroom was big, which we really appreciated. The table on the balcony was so small two glasses barely fit on it.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Segway Tour
    It was fun. I had done them before, it was my husband's first time. After awhile you get relaxed and then have fun. Wish the trip was longer and there was more to see. They take you down the promenade and then stop for a snack (which I thought was included but it was not) and then head back to the ship. They say it is a beach club in the ads, and that you can sit on the chairs at the beach for as long as you like, but they are not loungers and the beach is not nice. Plus, they give you a sales pitch when it starts out that special for today you can go all the way back to the beginning point if you want. Like it isn't offered every day - when you know it is - they do this so they do not have to find a way to get your Segway back to the beginning and pay your $4 taxi ride back. A scam. But the day was windy and the beach was bad so we went back to the ship.
    View All 28 Segway Tour Reviews
  • Amazing River & Cavern Explore
    This was so amazing and one of the best excursions we have ever done. You have to be careful as the ground is not flat (many jagged things under the water) and there are some tight areas that you need to get through (with not always the best direction), but we would surely recommend it. You take the 30 minute ferry to the mainland and then a 30 minute bus ride back into the jungle. They provide you with water shoes, a wetsuit, miners helmet, life jacket and walking stick. Do not go without the walking stick. There are five entrances into the caves and your guide does not know which one you will get until you are there. You walk through the jungle for about ten minutes, have a Mayan ceremony, and then enter the caves. There are some steep areas that are slick so you must be careful walking. You head down into total darkness for 1.5 hours. You are walking through ankle to waist high water most of the time, but also swimming in several areas. It is fantastic and crazy. The formations are beautiful. So awesome to be swimming through this crystal clear cool water underground.
    View All 135 Amazing River & Cavern Explore Reviews
  • Roatan
    We had been to the island before and spent the day in French Key so did an private island tour. We saw much. Nothing fantastic, but fun. The Iguanas, the sloths, etch. We got to the West End at the end of our tour and wished we had gone there for lunch instead of the tourist trap near the ship - where they zipline - that all the tour companies take you to.
    View All 12,779 Roatan Cruise Port Reviews