3. Adventure of the Seas
Background: This cruise consisted of 24 members of our family coming from Florida, New Jersey, Staten Island, & Long Island, NY. We aged from 3 to 85, so we were all really looking forward to this cruise. Embarkation: What a disaster. Coming into the dock at Cape Liberty must have taken 45 minutes - an hour. All cars waiting in two lines, just to merge into one lane to drop off. You had to get all luggage out of the car, then park in the parking garage. It was so chaotic and stressful, and wish there was a better way. Other than that, the security/ check-in process was a breeze and we were on the ship in literally 15 minutes. Food: I am a vegetarian, but found a lot to eat. I do recommend if you are a vegetarian, ask for a veggie burger by the burger station in the windjammer, and they pulled one out from the back! I was very surprised they had them, and it was very good. Cheese fries were always my favorite, but a lot of the food was mediocre, just like I had read on here prior. At breakfast, we all LOVED the "potato pancakes" I'll call them. It was our favorite thing. The waffles/ pancakes were usually hard as rock. But the fresh fruit was so good. Pizza on the promenade was a disappointment, compared to Carnival's hand tossed pizzas after hours. This was definitely just frozen pizza, but we never had to wait long to get it, and you could have as much as you wanted. Main Dining Room: We all met up for dinner every single night, 5:30 on the bottom deck of the restaurant. My grandpa had it arranged so we always had 2 tables of 10 and 1 table of 4 in line with each other. We never had to wait, and could just walk right in. I know that serving 24 people at once can't be easy, but we would spend almost 2 hours from start to finish in that dining room. It just dragged on forever sometimes it felt like. We had one toddler, and two young children in our group, and the server did a great job at making sure they got their food first and would cut their food up. Our waiter's assistant (I am so bad with names, clearly) was always singing, and constantly filling up our water which was nice. There was always a main vegetarian course for me, but the appetizers sometimes lacked in meat-less options (besides a fresh fruit platter) which was disappointing. The crème-brulee was my favorite dessert, and the tomato & mozzarella appetizer was so delicious I finished it before he remembered to bring the balsamic reduction for it. No entrees really stood out to me. It was fun to move around the tables and sit by different family every night. Common Areas : There was plenty of pool space, hot tubs, and lounge chairs. Then again, we were cruising to Canada, so the weather wasn't always swimming weather, although that did not stop some people. We had two very hot days, and I had no problem finding room in the pool, or a lounge chair. On days at sea, or at night, things seemed to get so crowded. It would be hard to find a table at lunch in the windjammer, or find somewhere to stand to play trivia. Our absolute favorite place to meet up was The Duck & Dog Pub on the main promenade. We would end up pulling a bunch of tables together every time we saw a family member walk by. We would just talk and drink until midnight, or until the live music stopped and the cleaning started, and they were basically hinting for us to leave. Boleros had decent music most of the time. My great uncle loved getting down with whoever would get down with him. We were not a fan of the piano man in the Schooner Bar, but maybe that's just preference. One night the Adventure of the Seas orchestra was playing in the Imperial Lounge, and our whole family went and listened, while my grandparents danced. That was so lovely, and the orchestra was very good. It took us until about day 5 to find the card room hidden by the imperial lounge, which was a nice little spot. The gym was very, very large for a cruise ship (I thought). I only cut a star off from the rating because some machines were out of order, and there was no place to stretch/ do ab exercises, but maybe these are minor things. The casino was definitely out dated, just like I read on here. A lot of older machines. Everyone else in my family was winning while I lost all my money! It took us all week to find the Blue Moon Bar, which is deck 14, because there's only specific elevators that take you there. That was a bust. We thought there would be live music, but there seemed to be not much going on, and not many people there. The craziest thing was on the 4th of July. They claimed there would be a "party". What it really was half the ship crowding shoulder to shoulder on the promenade and up and down each floor by the elevators. My sister's and I really wanted to find a spot, but you just couldn't breath... couldn't walk. It was so awful, and definitely breaking a lot of security hazards/ rules. I ended up sitting at Boleros with some family while my sisters managed to get a video of the balloon drop. Not worth it, and disappointed there isn't a better way to let everyone enjoy it. One night there was a "party" on the promenade with the live band that played by the pool. This was the most fun we had all cruise for sure. Our whole family spent the night dancing and doing line dances. The entertainment team did a great job directing it and teaching us dances. The band was really good too. We were all sweating by the end of the night. Wish they did something like this every night! Shows: I will start with the ice-skating show. I'm not really sure what I was expecting, since this is something special to Royal Carribean, and I've never seen it before. The show was very confusing, and didn't have much a story line it seemed like. I was an ice skater, and understand mistakes can happen, but almost every performance had a stumble/ fall. Some of them were good though. The main shows seemed like such a disaster to me. I never thought Carnival's shows were anything special (you aren't watching a Broadway show after all), but after this I think Carnival shows were amazing. The costumes were extremely tacky, the dancers didn't seem synched at all, and the singers weren't all that good. I was bored during most of them. Big disappointment. I only saw previews of the comedians during the "Welcome" and "Farewell" shows. I did not go to any of their actual shows, but my cousins said they were funny. I peeked into the Quest game show, but was very confused. My sisters saw it from the beginning so they understood what was going on, and they said it was the funniest thing. Disembarkation : It was pretty smooth, but of course as soon as we get in line to disembark the ship, they halted the line because they were over capacity in the port with everyone trying to find their luggage and go through customs. Once it started moving, we were at our car in 15 minutes. Overall: I am really not one to complain, and like to see the best in the situation, but it's hard when I have mostly cruised on Carnival, and kept comparing everything to Carnival. Carnival is better in certain instances, Royal Caribbean is better in some instances. A lot of the workers just looked miserable, the ships layout is set up strangely, the food was just okay, the shows weren't good, and the common spaces filled up very quickly. But they did have so many fun things to do if you're into that. I didn't have time to do the rock climbing wall, go ice skating, the wave rider, or mini golf, but the kids in our group had such a fun time on these activities , that make Royal Caribbean special. Some parts of the ship are really beautiful. The 3-level dining room is immaculate, and the marble staircase leading up to deck 4 is great for pictures. I wish the ship had a theme, because it didn't seem like it had one. Everything was just random. I am not going to say you shouldn't go on this cruise, but I personally would pick Carnival for a future cruise! Personal preference!

Big Family Cruise on the Adventure of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by itsbecca77

itsbecca77’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas price drops

Interior
Cabin 2V 2553
My older sister and I had an interior cabin, and my mom and younger sister had an ocean view. Looking at the floor plan, our cabins were right down the hall from each other. Come to find out, there is two floor galley smack in the middle of our cabins. Therefore to get from one cabin to the other, we had to walk up two floors, walk all the way through the casino, then walk back down two floors to get to their cabin. It was the most annoying, ridiculous, and frustrating thing I think I have ever experienced on a cruise. By the end of the cruise we still did not have it down pat of "which side of the ship are we on? Are we by our cabin? Or your cabin?".

For the room itself, here is my advice: keep it as neat possible! Make use of the closets and drawers, and put everything away before you leave, just like you would at home. The cabins are small, obviously, you're on a boat. So imagine having clothes and bags laying all over the place? Makes it feel so much more cramped.

Our interior was more updated than any of our families ocean view cabins which was interesting. Therefore, I liked our room much better. My mom's room had a very musty smell from the carpeting, older cabinets, an older fridge, and older finishes in the bathroom. But our room was more fresh and clean, which I really enjoyed.

The only bad thing is the bathroom. I am used to small bathrooms on ships, but the showers had doors instead of a curtain I am used to, so that takes so much space away form the bathroom. I banged my elbow on the door atleast twice a day just trying to get ready in there. Wish they would change that, then the bathroom wouldn't be that bad.

I wish I remembered our room steward's name, because he always said hi when we passed through the hallway, and got our cabin made up so quickly. We would call for wine glasses, and he would come immediately. Always had a smile.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins