3. Celebrity Solstice
We have sailed Celebrity Solstice class ships several times before, but we chose this itinerary as our first trip to Hawaii. Overnights in Oahu, Maui, and ports on both sides of the big island were much enjoyed. Our last day in Hilo we experienced two earthquakes about 1/2 hour apart while on a bus tour in Volcanoes National Park and its environs. It was great and very exciting. All our excursions were from Celebrity, and all were well organized. We had one guide on the island of Hawaii, Anthony, who was very knowledgeable and entertaining. We actually enjoyed him on 2 separate tours. We learned a great deal about the history and geology of this island. I also really liked the "Beyond the Podium" lectures that were offered on the 5 sea days, especially the ones about the art of the south Pacific. I joined the choir, directed by Isaac, and had a great performance on our last night of the cruise in Victoria, B.C. A great way to get back to Canada!

Earthquake Experience

frteach’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Solstice price drops

Deluxe Veranda
Cabin 1A 9292
Plenty of storage space for 2, loved the roomy corner shower unit. Bed was comfortable. Near to the elevators, but not noisy at all.
Panorama Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Botanical Garden
    If this refers to the orchid garden, then it was beautiful, with many exotic kinds of orchids on display. It also has a very nice gift shop, and a limited snack bar.
    View All 21 Botanical Garden Reviews
  • Volcano National Park & Hilo Waterfall Tour
    We couldn't leave the island without visiting this great national park. The Visitors' Centre and the Jagger Museum are near the Kilauea Volcano and you are standing on the Mauna Loa "shield" volcano everywhere in the park. We went through the lava tube and walked through the tropical forest, seeing and hearing exotic birds. The highlight was the 2 earthquakes that we felt that day, right after leaving the park!
    View All 114 Volcano National Park & Hilo Waterfall Tour Reviews
  • Diamond Head Crater
    This tour was called the Natural Highlights of Oahu. We visited the crater, Hanauma Bay, and the Pali Outlook, as well as drive bys of several other places. It was interesting and informative.
    View All 23 Diamond Head Crater Reviews
  • Hanauma Bay
    Great snorkeling was taking place here, and a good view of a coral reef from above the beach.
    View All 9 Hanauma Bay Reviews
  • Luau
    The luau took place at the Hyatt Regency, a luxury hotel that we took a bus to. This was a very popular tour, requiring multiple buses and it was fairly well organized by staff. Numbers were handed out and the buses loaded by number, but the luau didn't start until everyone was there. It was very entertaining, but a bit too long. The food was tasty and plentiful.
  • Maui Ocean Center
    This is a great ocean centre which you can explore at your own pace. Excellent exhibits, and a genuine concern for the environmental impact of our way of life. No plastic straws anywhere! I definitely learned a lot.
    View All 22 Maui Ocean Center Reviews
  • Maui Tropical Plantation
    We enjoyed seeing so many different kinds of tropical fruit grown in one place. The trolley ride was fun, and the girls stopped to show us the proper way to get into the meat of the coconut, at which I discovered that I had been making a great deal of unnecessary difficulty for myself!
    View All 37 Maui Tropical Plantation Reviews
  • Capilano Canyon
    We loved the experience of the bridge and treetop walk. The forest is so different from that which is found elsewhere in Canada. We are from Ontario, and this was not our first visit to Vancouver, but it was our first to the bridge. I am really glad that we included this time.
    View All 33 Capilano Canyon Reviews
  • Victoria
    We walked to the Empress Hotel, after receiving excellent directions from the welcome booth that we came to as soon as we disembarked. I had made a reservation for tea, since this is an experience which was on my "bucket list". I wasn't disappointed, although I admit that this is an outrageous price for a a pot of tea and a three-tiered sweet and savory plate. Service was excellent, and piano added to the ambience. Surprisingly filling.
    View All 1,286 Victoria Cruise Port Reviews