3. Viking Atla
We lived in Germany several years ago and had traveled to many places, but we had not traveled to Eastern European locations. Budapest was wonderful, so pretty, all lit up at night. We stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel until we boarded our Ship on Sunday. Viking had an overall tour of the city and we also had free time to explore. Right here I have to say that Viking does a great job with advertising. But when the rubber meets the road, you are being herded into buses on all your little side trips with 44 other people. That part of the trip got old very quickly for me and was just a reminder of the sardine-can airline trip over to Budapest that we endured. I don't know what I was expecting, but I guess I was thinking we'd be all going in different directions in small vans and that it would be a bit more personal. The food and the staff were both excellent. The service and the room were wonderful. Even the internet connections were pretty good. No complaints. A small Ship allows people more opportunities to get to know each other and that part of it we loved. We met some great folks. Viking has staff all over Europe and you get met at your airport, you get delivered to your hotel...wonderful. They take care of all of it for you. The Budapest to Bucharest tour was "more evocative" as Rick Steves would say. We weren't seeing the Vatican or the Parthenon. We were exploring the mood of former communist countries and how they were doing. A lot of our sites were relatively unknown to us. All were interesting and well prepared. In Croatia we even got to visit with locals and see how they live and what they have done with their lives and their homes since all the wars. Budapest's beautiful buildings and chain bridge were lovely. Bucharest's Parliament was beautiful and to learn of the brutal Ceausescu regime under communism was interesting. Viking brought lecturers on board the ship and also folk dancers. So nice. So, in summary, I loved the trip. My only objection was the sardine-can daily tours. I just wish there was a nicer way to get folks around for these tours.

Viking Atla Budapest to Bucharest was our first river cruise

ELAINEMAURICE’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Atla price drops

Explorer Suite
Cabin ES 120
The cabin was small, but adequate.
Upper Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins