3. Norwegian Epic
This was my seventh cruise with NCL and my second on the Epic. I find that every time I travel with NCL my opinion of them decreases. I believe NCL should be advertised as a family and children friendly cruise line and discourage adults without children, or who are not in their 20s from travelling with them. On this trip to the Caribbean there were many unsupervised children - they were throwing food, changing the signage on the cabin doors (to do not disturb so the cabins didn't get made up), swimming in the hot tubs, throwing stuff overboard, and screaming at one another across the balconies, to name a few things. Parents seemed happy to ignore these activities. The 20 year olds weren't much different, getting seriously drunk and screaming at each other, and occupying the hot tubs for hours at time without letting others in. The food was good but on several occasions (especially during breakfast) our orders were incorrect (missing and incorrect food items). Cagney's was quite good though. On the second sea day we were up on deck at 830 and there were no chairs to be had, as people had set there stuff down and even though they did not occupy their seats for hours the did leave their towels on chairs so as to let others know they were theirs. We had the 'free' drinks package which was handy and the bar service was very good. Our cabin was very cramped and I did not like the frosted glass bathroom as it was obvious what was going on in there - and the frosted glass offered little soundproofing. The sink is also in the main cabin which can make washing a bit challenging if travelling with friends. The Epic is not very wheelchair friendly making access to the Taste dining room quite difficult as one of the two sets of elevators does not go to the fifth floor where it is located. Also included in our package was 250 minutes of 'free' wifi. While I thought this would be useful to stay in touch with family, there were so many people on board using wifi that it would take up to 5 minutes for a webpage to load, if it loaded at all. So I image of the time I spent using the wifi plan, I probably spent 20 minutes on the internet, the rest was 'page loading' or 'this page cannot be displayed' time. As we have experienced previously, the customer service from the guest services staff is terrible. There was a charge on our account that we did not make and we went to guest services to address it. The gentleman at guest services was rude and basically said it wasn't his problem. We've had previous problems with NCL guest services, including being yelled at for completing a guest survey they didn't like about the spa services. One of our stops was to Great Stirrup Cay which is an NCL owned island (I assume). We tendered over which took approximately 45 minutes from waiting for the tender, boarding hundreds of people and disembarking. The area was nice but the water was challenging to get around in due to the rocky bottom. Lunch was provided there but the lineup was giant. We did not wait for food but we were told by another guest that he waited 45 minutes for his tacos. The entertainment was okay but as we'd travelled on the cruise before we had seen all of the shows. The Beatles, Burn the floor, Pricilla were all repeats of the cruise we took a year ago. However, Pricilla was still pretty good. I do think they could add a few more games (trivia etc) and perhaps some new shows as there wasn't much going on that didn't require an extra fee. While I have enjoyed NCL over the years, I think it's time to move up to a more adult-friendly cruise line. I am not a big fan of having food thrown at me or listening to screaming children or drunken college kids while on vacation.

Not for adults without children

Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by jcruiseb