3. Avalon Tapestry II
We had the opportunity to sail in a Panorama Suite on board the Avalon Tapestry II last fall and our experience did not disappoint. Everything about this trip was fabulous, from the flawless execution of embarkation/debarkation to the food, the staff, the included and premium excursions and more. I can't say enough about how wonderful our experience was. I have a gluten allergy, and the dining room and kitchen staff was wonderful in making sure I had gluten-free options with every meal. The maitre'd Peter was outstanding and took excellent care to make sure all in our party were well-taken care of. Our server Pavel was outstanding, as well, and our wine steward Valentin ensured that our glasses were never empty. Our cruise director Jean-Loup was outstanding as well. Our cabin attendant Marie took great care of us and our cabin was always clean and well-maintained. Avalon met us at the airport, whisked us to the embarkation hotel, provided refreshments for jet-lagged Americans and then seamlessly transferred us to the ship. We didn't have to hassle with our luggage, and in fact, it seemed like anything we needed was already anticipated. We loved the chance to explore quaint French villages and delve into the fascinating history of this region. We visited ancient abbeys, and hiked to the top of a hill to visit Richard Lionheart's Chateau Gaillard, which was fascinating. We toured Malmaison and Versailles, the villages of Vernon, Rouen, Caudebec and more. The highlight of our trip was our visit to the WWII battlefields of Normandy and the landing beaches, followed by a visit to the American Cemetery there. It was fascinating and heartbreaking, and it is a place that EVERY American should visit to pay their respects to the young men who sacrificed so much there. Thank you to Avalon for making this a truly memorable trip for me and my husband, and please know that we can't WAIT for our next Avalon river cruise!

FABULOUS experience with Avalon

JVR519’s Full Rating Summary
Get Avalon Tapestry II price drops

Outside Stateroom with French Balcony
Cabin P 304
The cabin was perfect. A little noisy sometimes since it is near the central lobby area, but really only when everyone was gathering in the lobby to leave the ship. Bathroom amenities are fabulous. I loved the wide-open view from our French balcony.
Royal Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• City Tour
    We went on a walking tour of Paris, which gave us the chance to see many of the highlight and included a really nice tour of Notre Dame. Great overview of many of the sights to see in this fascinating city.
    View All 86 City Tour Reviews
  • D-Day Beaches
    One word to describe this excursion: AWESOME. It was moving, emotional and fascinating. We actually explored Nazi bunkers, walked on the hillsides next to cliffs scaled by Col. Rudder's Rangers, walked on Omaha Beach, toured the American Cemetery and more. We did not have enough time to see everything, and I look forward to returning one day to spend more time in the museum. I highly recommend EVERY American visit this site if they are in this region of Europe. It is worth it.
    View All 66 D-Day Beaches Reviews
  • Eiffel Tower
    The experience with the tour operator was "meh" (they are very rude) but it was basically a ticket to go up in the Eiffel Tower, which anyone who ever visits Paris needs to do. The Tower itself is great, but there will always be huge crowds, and security around the site is very tight. Give yourself plenty of time to get there at your assigned time, and buy your tickets ahead of time.
    View All 36 Eiffel Tower Reviews
  • Versailles
    Great overview of a fascinating place. The entire castle is gilded in gold, and you can easily see why the French citizens revolted! It's a very interesting site to see and I highly recommend.
    View All 53 Versailles Reviews
  • Cathedral of Rouen
    This guided tour took us to the Cathedral of Rouen, which we later saw depicted in many of Monet's paintings currently on display at the Musee d'Orsay. The entire village is beautiful and fascinating. Highly recommend.
    View All 31 Cathedral of Rouen Reviews