3. Oosterdam
I chose this 25 day trip to Mexico and Hawaii because though Costco Travel, it was a chance for fun in the sun during January and less expensive than booking a hotel for the same period of time. The ship was not as nice as Celebrity or Norwegian ships I had been on. San Diego has a lovely harbor location. It was cold everywhere and even though many complained, the ship remained cold in public areas. Mainstage evening performances were not good! Out of about 18 performances I attended, I counted 3 worth seeing. Lincoln stage was outstanding! And fortunately they often performed 3 times a day. I had requested diabetic menu before departure, but when I went to Dining Room first night, was told by attendant I just should order vegetarian. My daughter was on a Disney cruise the month before and requested Vegan and had the best meals ever night after night by their Indian Chef who was happy to accommodate their request. I did not receive that courtesy. Food was inconsistent. I saw Tiramisu prepared 3 different ways. But the dining room crew members were superior! They just served the food, didn’t prepare it. I used the fitness room daily, but the treadmill rarely had internet access. The fitness instructor gave the same speech for every class it seemed! Our Lahaina harbor embarkation experience was a nightmare. Stood in line in the harbor for 1 and 1/2 hours and treated poorly by American Guard Security. The Captain never said a word about it. All passengers who disembarked were affected. And everyone was outraged. This was a ship with predominately seniors with wheel chairs and walkers and canes. Most conversations after that experience were in relation to how the captain never apologized or offered an explanation. Overall, this was the worst cruise I had ever been on and that seemed to be the general consensus amongst passengers when visiting with them. But I liked being with friends and making new ones and getting some sunshine! I want to give a big shout out to Jose Rosales Housekeeping Director and Dining Room crew for 210; Agus and Willy for superior service. And for Angga for such kindness!

Holland America Oosterdam review

Oosterdam Cruise Review by Lucy1226

• Sail Date: January 2018
  • Destination: Hawaii
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom

The ship was not as nice as Celebrity or Norwegian ships I had been on.

San Diego has a lovely harbor location.

But I liked being with friends and making new ones and getting some sunshine!

Lucy1226’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Oosterdam price drops

Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom
Cabin VC 5095
By elevator, which was no problem as far as noise given the seasoned ages of passengers. However, a loud booming against wall day and day. We were given excuse it meant the stabilizers were working. The ship was full so we couldn’t be reassigned to a different room. The whole thing was totally unacceptable. The cruise was 25 days. We were offered a room on deck 1 just to sleep in, which was not acceptable as it was not a balcony room.
The tub filled with water when showering which I find gross.
I highly suggest not booking room 5095