MSC Magnifica Cruise Review

Broken leg untreated for 3 days

MSC Magnifica Cruise Review by nancywong

• Sail Date: Sep 2017
  • Destination: the Baltic Sea

I was on the repositioning cruise from Copenhagen to Genoa. Somewhere off the coast of Portugal I slipped and broke my leg. Purely an accident. The problem came, though, when the Dr. insisted it was unnecessary to do an x-ray and said my ankle was sprained. I said it was more than that. He said it wasn't and sent me to my cabin.

I had to step up on my leg to get into the bathroom. I complained to the Dr. about it but was told it was fine and to take an Ibuprofen. The Dr. saw me the next day (he would only see me after we left Barcelona, rather than before or during the day). He reiterated it was just sprained and implied I was being a baby because I complained that it was more than a sprain.

During the time I was confined to my cabin my meals were brought to me, at no charge. Each meal (3 times a day) was boiled chicken breast and plain white rice. I asked for water and was told I couldn't use my pre-paid coupons for water and would have to be charged for it, since I wasn't getting it from either a bar or restaurant.

I insisted that when we arrived in Genoa I be taken to the hospital. The medical dept. arranged for a taxi to take me. I was taken to a private clinic where an xray showed my leg was broken. I was put back into a taxi and taken to the emergency room of the public hospital. They confirmed that my leg was broken and that I needed surgery. I had surgery, spent a week in an Italian hospital and flew home.

Since then I've contacted MSC over a dozen times. Even though I've been promised return calls with an offer of resolution, it has never happened. I've emailed them documentation. No response. I was told they had to talk personally to the Chairman of the Board to resolve the situation. All I was asking for was the reimbursement of the medical fees I was charged onboard the ship.

Prior to the incident, the cruise was ok but not great. On a par with Carnival. But their handling of my medical emergency is inexcusable.

nancywong's Full Rating Summary

Barcelona

Couldn't tell you since I was in my cabin with a broken leg.

nancywong