3. Carnival Elation
Our first ever cruise was on the Elation, and it was very nice. We thought the ship was very elegant and the food mostly outstanding except for the steak dishes. The service was great in the dining room, and the housekeeping staff was very friendly. Our dinner companions were very nice people, but overall we were surprised by how much drinking there was on the Elation. It occurred to me that I'd rather have people drink to excess on a cruise ship than anyplace where driving might be involved, but it still was slightly eye-opening. People boarded the ship shouting "where're the drinks!" and people brought their umbrella-embellished beverages with them to the safety drill despite being told they weren't allowed to do so. The very funny and helpful cruise director warned passengers not to drink so much in Cozumel that they had to be brought back in wheelchairs. People laughed and thought she was kidding, but she wasn't! Besides the cruise director, the shopping expert, Kaylene, was so helpful and friendly, and the entertainment staff also made sure we had a lot of fun. Though the rockiness of the ship and noise and vibration made it difficult to sleep every night, I enjoyed the Elation thoroughly.

Fun first cruise!

Carnival Elation Cruise Review by Darshan1

Darshan1’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Get Carnival Elation price drops

• Belize City
    I was a bit nervous about tendering here, as it was my first experience with it, but everything went smoothly. The water was a beautiful, unusual green and our tour of Altun Ha, a Mayan ruin, and a boat trip down the River Wallace was excellent. Belize was experiencing general strikes so there was little running water and we were told they were lucky to have electricity, but nothing out of the ordinary happened other than seeing a number of kids playing in the river (not too far from crocodiles!) as school had been suspended because of the strikes. The trip down the river, through the jungle, was fascinating. Besides crocodiles, there were iguanas, dolphins (in the river! And they were very curious about our little boat), monkeys and bower birds. It was a very exciting experience.
    View All 2,317 Belize City Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Belize City Cruise Port Review
  • Cozumel
    I've since been back to Cozumel, but on this trip I mostly liked the shopping for a Mexican fire opal for my sister at Rachat and Romero (incredible jewelry store that is now closed) and seeing the beautiful blue water, crystal clear, right at ship's docking site was amazing. Salesmen seemed a little too pushy, and there was a feeling that an occasional local had had enough of annoying Yankee tourists which was sad. The fact that many younger tourists felt the need to get plastered out of their minds is probably a good reason why Cozumel natives roll their eyes at visitors. Still I felt safe here and enjoyed my time. It would make sense, however, to do something in Cozumel that takes advantage of the incredible water. Perhaps a "sub-ocean view" watercraft would be perfect.
    View All 6,551 Cozumel Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cozumel Cruise Port Review
  • Progreso
    Progreso itself didn't seem to offer much, but we had a great trip to beautiful Chichen Itza, and our guide was friendly and knowledgeable. My dad took a short bus ride around Progreso and bought some souvenirs. He liked it well enough. Another possibility would be a trip to city of Merida, and that's probably what I would do if I went back. I had fun here.
    View All 456 Progreso Cruise Port Reviews