3. Celebrity Infinity
Background. We are Celebrity Elite members. I am hearing impaired. I wear a hearing aid. I can hear but, many times, words sound mumbled. This is a recent occurrence, happening in the past few years, so I don't know sign language. My husband (I will refer to him as H) hears perfectly. My hearing problem limits many of the activities on board. That's one of the reasons this cruise is hard to rate. So bear with me. We stayed overnight in Valparaiso prior to the cruise and took a $13 cab ride to Vina del Mar where Celebrity offered a complimentary bus ride to the new port of San Antonio. OK, we dealt with it. We arrived at the port around 4:15. Embarkation was swift and we were able to rush to our cabin on deck 8 just in time to head out for the safety drill. The area was jam packed. Most people could not see what was going on. Obviously, I couldn't understand what was being said. Our last cruise was on Oceania, and they take the safety drill very seriously. They even checked to make sure that we had our life jackets on and buckled correctly. Anyway, we survived. The concierge cabin was fine. Decent vanity space with the shelves and cabinets in the bathroom for two people. However, absolutely very little water pressure in the shower. It could barely wash off the shampoo in my hair. The cabin had plenty of storage. The bed was comfortable. H thought it was a little hard but I like that. Small balcony with 2 chairs and a table. Our room steward, Richard, was fantastic. He knew what we wanted before we asked for it. Nothing was too much trouble for him. H got to rehearse a few times and sing with a choir made up of volunteer passengers. It was directed by one of the singers from the show. H really enjoyed it and the performance in the grand foyers was great. I enjoyed the production shows. The other shows just would be a waste of time for me. I went to the trivia games in the Constellation lounge because the questions were shown on a screen. My team won 3rd place in the progressive trivia. H and I tried to participate in "Name That Phrase", a wheel of fortune type game. We knew something was wrong when phrases would be guessed by the same 2 people after just one letter was shown. I mean, if you just saw an "A" and it's two words, would you guess Sigourney Weaver? Well, this person did and it was correct. We found out later that, since this was apparently a back to back cruise, the same phrases had been used in the prior cruise. It sort of spoiled things a little. No biggie but definitely a minus point. Many of the other activities I just couldn't do because I wouldn't be able to hear what was being said. H did go to many of the talks and would just fill me in later. It would have been nice, when these talks were shown on the tv, to have closed captioning. There was absolutely none for any channel. Every night we went to the Constellation Lounge for the Elite and above cocktail time. We enjoyed it thoroughly as we always sat with a particular group. The hostess was so friendly and always smiling. Now for the food. Breakfast a few times in the buffet. Depending on the time you went, it could be a madhouse. The food, omelettes, waffles, breads, pastries, etc. were good. Most of the time we went to Tuscan for a continental breakfast. We enjoyed the quiet. The first time we went to the lunch buffet, it was impossible to find a table. We walked out and went to the grille for a hamburger and took it back to the cabin. We learned to time our visit. The food, especially the pasta bar, was really good. We did the buffet twice for dinner and it was good then also. We had 6pm early seating in the main dining room. Surprised to find our table on deck 5 while the Select dining was on deck 4. We had a table for 6 and enjoyed our dining companions when they were there. Our waiter, Renato, and our assistant waiter, King, were wonderful. Always smiling, there when we needed them. I wish everyone was like that. The food was generally good. Some dishes better than others but nothing bad. One night we went to Qsine. We ate there on a prior ship and thought it was just OK but wanted to use some of our OBS. It was pretty bad. We ordered 5 items and only one was decent. The others were just bland. We told the waiter this and he invited us back for a complimentary meal. We did take advantage of this and ordered different items. It was better than the first time but still nothing to write home about. We will skip Qsine on our next cruise. Now the ports. We only did 2 excursions with Celebrity, Ushuaia, because we wanted to go through the Beagle channel, and debarkation day in Buenos Aires, because our flight wasn't until 9:15pm. Both tours were good. We really enjoyed he Buenos Aires one because it went to a gaucho ranch where we had a great lunch and dancing and gauchos. Great way to spend the day. In Puerto Montt, we found a tour on the pier that did the lake and volcanos and river. Wonderful. Half the price of Celebrity and a comfortable van, not a big bus. Punta Arenas was cancelled. Was told that the weather was going to change in a few hours. Puerto Madryn, we and another couple took a cab roundtrip to the penguin rookery. What an experience. This is a must see. Punta del Este. Pretty town. Not much to see other than the "hand" which we walked to. Montivedeo, walked around. Walked to the "Alive" museum. Very interesting. About $8US admission fee. Saw a short movie and artifacts and explanations of what actually happened. I'm into that and really looked forward to visiting the museum. Buenos Aires, for me, was disappointing. It's a big city. A lot of people smoke. We were warned many times about pickpockets but had no problem. We overnighted here and, unfortunately, we were docked in a cargo loading area. You know, the place where they have the big containers offloaded from the ships and then unto the trucks. That's what we faced. Including the bright lights at night. Be prepared at the Buenos Aires airport for long lines and intense security. Our carry on bags were checked twice. They confiscated my small nail scissors. I have traveled the world with these scissors for years and years with no problem and they took them. My bags were checked again prior to boarding. Summary, interesting cruise. Went to places I never thought I would go to. Too many sea days, with one added on due to the Punta Arenas port cancellation. Glad I went and can cross it off my bucket list.

Tough to Rate