3. Celebrity Silhouette
We chose this cruise because I wanted to visit Israel and because we like the Solstice ships. We had a normal standard balcony room, perfectly fine, great view towards the rear of the ship and we were lucky to be on the side of the port most days when we docked so that was interesting. Our room attendant Gede was just the best, nothing was too much trouble, he was quiet, discrete and the room was impeccably cleaned every day. Entertainment Over the years we have seen a decline in the entertainment on the celebrity ships. This was no exception. Sue seemed to have a great following and to be honest she was loud and cheery and clear so most people could understand her, what more would you need. We loved the 4 Opera singers and the 2 female and one male singing entertainers but did not like the 2 cast shows, very poor indeed, what the Pearl thing was all about I have no idea, the first time we have ever left a show after 20 minutes in 8 cruises, it was diabolical. It wasn't the worst though, by far the worst was the magician. i don't know if it was because we were sitting more side on but this guy had me knowing how each trick was done well in advance of the end, i have never been so bored, i couldn't believe it was so bad. Conversely the 4 soul Dudes were the best I have ever seen on board and we liked them so much we went to the show twice, a first for us. In the main foyer next to the passport bar there is usually a good contemporary singer around 6-7 when we are there, the one they had on this cruise we didn't like at all. Sometimes we had to listen very hard to what she was singing as she had a dreadful habit of slurring her words, it was almost as if she was trying to sing jazz in a late night club at 2am after a bottle of scotch? But the worst entertainers by far were the 2 DJs Skyla and someone? They could empty a room, completely oblivious to the needs of an audience, twice on the sunset bar on a lovely lazy afternoon chatting with friends they would come up and ramp up some hideous tunes, drown out everyones conversation and just laugh and joke among themselves, as I looked round...no-one was listening to the music but now people had resorted to shouting above the noise. They weren't even good DJs in that they couldn't move seamlessly from one song to the next, they either cut off a song half way through or there was an embarrassing pause between songs, they also did this twice in the foyer but worse was to come when Skyla decided to sing along to some of the tunes, this was beyond bad, like a cat being tortured, and her playing of the flute whilst probably good had no place in this contemporary music. We loved the silent disco but sadly this was only on 2 nights of 12, with a meet and greet for under 21s most nights of which there were about 5, i hope this catches on and becomes more popular I loved most nights in the sky lounge late dancing, the DJ here was very good but on halloween night the show dancers came up to the lounge off duty, completely took over the dance floor flinging themselves around and basically forcing guests off the dance floor, one of them hit me very hard whilst showing off a leg kick, within 10 minutes my friends and I had left, night enjoyed but abruptly ended. We organised private tours and did not use any from the ship but all the ports we visited we enjoyed very much Food We were blown away by the breakfasts and lunches in the main Seaview Cafe, best we have had on any ship, the choices are amazing and the quality so good. loved loved loved the curries. Were it not for the fact I love dressing up and using the dining room I would eat here all the time. Dining room We ate all bar one night in the dining room but something has to change here. Im not a big fan of the add on sales to boost peoples average spend in the fancy restaurants, you are paying for quality food and service already, however we did have a special anniversary so we went to the Murano and it was the best meal we have had in years. But the dining room was half empty most nights and the atmosphere was just flat! One of our real joys of cruising has been meeting people on our tables and we are to this day still meeting with people all over the world we have enjoyed the cruise with. The fact that 2 sitting are worked around the theatre shows has always worked, we eat late so go to the early theatre, time for a quick drink and then dinner, we like routine, we like to dine with the same people and like our waiters to know our preferences. Select dining has ruined this. We were on a table for 10, 2 didn't show up any night at all, 4 disappeared after 2 nights to select dining and that left 4 of us each night on a huge oval table huddled up one end that just didn't work, wait staff have no idea if they have gone to select dining or where they are so can't make the tables any smaller. Select dining in my opinion is killing the classy side of cruising, you may as well all go and eat in the cafe. This also has a knock on effect in the theatre with people coming and going at all times off for dinner, distracting performers and guests alike, it just doesn't work. Some people we made friends with on the cruise went to select dining every night at 6.30, so why not just go to the first sitting, it made no sense to me at all. A half empty dining room results in less animated guests and disinterested wait staff, they are not stimulated. Embarkation took 10 mins and disembarkation took 10 minutes, the fasted we have ever had, well done team! Overall we love the Solstice style ships and will continue to use celebrity but i hope they sort out their dining options

Don't like the dining options

Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by Bornagaintraveller