If It Wasn't For the Drink Package and Onboard Credit... : Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by Cruzinforpeace***

Celebrity Summit 4
Cruzinforpeace***
Member Since 2013
405 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

If It Wasn't For the Drink Package and Onboard Credit...

Sail Date: August 2017
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)
This was our 3rd time on the Celebrity Summit. Sailing with me was my husband and 11 year old son. We chose this cruise for the price and Bermuda so I can't say I'm completely disappointed with the experience. You get what you pay for. We had 2 other identical cruises on the Summit to compare this cruise to and we were somewhat disappointed this time around.

First the Good:

HUGE Family Veranda Cabin. Cabin 8168, aft facing, 2 separate living spaces, 2 t.v.s and a HUGE balcony with a table, 4 chairs and 2 loungers. The cabin was not noisy nor the movement bad. It was slightly worn out looking and the bathroom was tiny. Overall a clean cabin other than the empty Corona beer bottle under the sink and the pair of flip flops under the bed from the last cruise (or maybe before that). Can't really blame the cabin steward too much as he had 14 cabins to clean each day. When we had a flickering light and a smelly mattress it was fixed immediately. I thought the More smelly mattress was my husband's feet stinking until I realized it was a stinky vomit smell coming from my mattress. Again, once I brought it to their attention it was changed immediately. A+++ (I did apologize to my husband).

Bermuda was awesome as always! The people are friendly and the island is just breathtaking.

Captain Alex was wonderful. He was witty, funny and very visible around the ship. We had 2 medical emergencies which he handled expertly.

Cruise Director Patrick. Reminded us of a young George Takei from Star Trek. He was always visible around the ship, always smiling and had the most unusual laugh that always put a smile on our face.

The Cruise Staff was excellent as well; very personable and willing and eager to hear any comments and suggestions.

The Youth Staff was superb! Our son has ADHD and other sensory issues that cause him to act out when in new situations. After a bump in the road during the first night when we neglected to communicate his needs effectively, they then stepped up to the plate and delivered beyond our expectations. For the first time ever our son felt confident enough to get up and perform his Yo Yo tricks for the kids camp talent show. This was made possible by the sensitivity and patience shown by the Youth Camp staff. This was the best part of our cruise.

Now the "not so good":

The food. The food has gone downhill since are last 2 cruises (the last one being last August). So sad they charge for sushi now. The ice cream doesn't taste homemade anymore. My 11 year old wouldn't touch it this time around. He had a grilled cheese in the dining room on the last evening that looked like a gelatinous gob of oily yellow gunk on a piece of bread. I took a picture of it. The lamb chops were fatty and nasty. The fish tasted old. The best food we had was from the "Taste of Film" night. We paid $20 a person to eat about 6 different samplings of food during a film on the Rooftop Terrace, The food (mostly meat) was excellent as was the film (The Chef). So sad that the trend in cruising is now to get you to purchase your food to get the better cuts of meat and overall better quality food.

Chair Hogs. Nothing new. We don't hang out at the pool so it's not a big deal to us but it does bother me. My suggestion: some type of scanning system utilizing passengers' sign and sail cards. Have some type of scanner set up (like for parking spots) where you scan your card. If you don't return in 30 minutes your card is disabled (by a pool attendant) and you have to go to Guest Services to have it reactivated. I would say about 75% of the chairs had towels on them with no people around to match. I made the suggestion on board but since it doesn't make money and will actually cost them money to implement I doubt it will happen. It's all about the money.

Disembarkation. The crowds were ridiculous. They had everyone waiting basically on one deck and it seemed that the majority of the passengers were self assist which made the crowds worse. You had to be out of your cabin by 8:00am and then wait around for 2 hours. Other cruise lines like Carnival let you relax in your cabin longer which cuts down on the crowds and they hire an outside cleaning crew so the regular stewards have help on turn around day. Hopefully they can figure out a way to make this experience a better one. After all, it is your last impression of your cruise. Thankfully, Patrick the Cruise Director was flashing his smile as we left the gangway which did take out some of the sting.

Would we cruise again on the Summit? Well, yes if the price was right and we had our drink package and on board credit. If another cruise line was less expensive leaving at the same time I think not. They are trying hard on the ship to please however it seems that the corporate office is trying to cut too many corners and it shows. Less

Published 09/12/17

Cabin review: FV8168 Family Ocean View with Balcony

HUGE Family Veranda Cabin. Cabin 8168, aft facing, 2 separate living spaces, 2 t.v.s and a HUGE balcony with a table, 4 chairs and 2 loungers. The cabin was not noisy nor the movement bad. It was slightly worn out looking and the bathroom was tiny. Overall a clean cabin other than the empty Corona beer bottle under the sink and the pair of flip flops under the bed from the last cruise (or maybe before that). Can't really blame the cabin steward too much as he had 14 cabins to clean each day. When we had a flickering light and a smelly mattress it was fixed immediately. I thought the smelly mattress was my husband's feet stinking until I realized it was a stinky vomit smell coming from my mattress. Again, once I brought it to their attention it was changed immediately. A+++ (I did apologize to my husband).

Read All Family Ocean View with Balcony (FV) Reviews >>