Would've been 4 stars, but..................: Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by bonsolo

Norwegian Breakaway 3
bonsolo
Member Since 2017

Overall Member Rating

Would've been 4 stars, but..................

Sail Date: August 2017
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Arrival on ship was well organized. However, I can say that I am glad we got there early as the waiting area to get on the ship got crowded. They assign you a number 1-25 and they board you in that order basically. Except if you are in the Haven. I can honestly say that The Haven people are basically waited on hand and foot the entire time. This would be the benefit for paying twice the amount for your cruise.

We purchased 1 WIFI package. My husband mostly used it. but if he signed off, I could sign on, so it was worth it. the service was spotty just as previous reviewers have said. It is what it is. I think NCL needs to upgrade their system for 4000 ppl + crew, but whatever.

we went to O'Sheehans, Savor, Garden Café, Taste, The Manhattan Room. my only complaint- I could not take the garden café. The circulation is horrendous. It was truly awful for me as I can’t stand being in crowds and lines that don’t move and people that just congregate More in walkways and don’t move. It is a terrible design. Terrible. The food isn’t great either. We were on the Star and it was so much better. This ship- it was to a point where I felt unsafe there were so many people in one spot. So, try to get up early and go to taste/ savor. Or have the (free) in room pastry/ cereal/ coffee/ fruit delivered to your room in the mornings. This was a great alternative. However, the food was amazing at all the other comp restaurants during our visit. And the service was exemplary. The food came to us with very little wait. But then again, I don’t like to rush dinner. The Manhattan room was exceptional. They even have a dance routine 2x during the week that isn’t in the flyer. I think it’s on Tuesday and Friday at 6pm. Ask hostess for a seat near the dance floor. They do not offer it unless you ask. It’s a weird ‘in the know’ thing. Cagney’s/ Moderno overlook The Manhattan room and if you ask you can get a seat to view. We also went to the Raw Bar twice. It was amazing, and the preparer, Annabelle is such a sweetheart we had to go back. It was really a nice little luxury and I didn’t mind paying extra for it. we also paid extra to go to Margaritaville for lunch once. It was very good.

my only real complaint aside from the ‘flow’ of the ship- I made reservations in advance online on the NCL website for: Le Bistro, Cagney’s and Ocean Blue. I wanted to do this b/c of my birthday and I wanted to make sure we could go to these particular restaurants via the 3x meal upgrade we received via booking this cruise. I also booked the Le Cirque show & dinner. Unfortunately, everything got screwed up. I would say that their internal ship system doesn’t update very well with the online pre-bookings. Instead of going into details I’m just going to say don’t bother booking ANYTHING on the NCL website. Book everything when you get onboard. And you can do it in your room on your TV, or call the reservation line, or go to the maître d in advance, or go to guest services area. But don’t bother doing it online. That’s all I’m going to say.

Overall the flow and design of the ship is to take you through/ past anything where you can spend money. And I hated that the main atrium (although very pretty) had the casino in the middle floor where the smoking just blew throughout everywhere. They have events in the atrium and it’s impossible to talk to anyone at a bar or guest services in this area. Again, the smoking was awful. The main pool- the design is terrible and the pool is too small for 4000 people but I knew that from other reviews. So, we stayed on deck 16 around the Spice H20 area and tried to avoid the smokers.

We booked this cruise because we wanted to go to Bermuda and we really wanted to go on a cruise out of NY and cruise past the Statue of Liberty/ the Verrazano. I met a lot of people on this cruise who have done this cruise multiple times! I can honestly say that I won’t…. Although the convenience of going out of NY was great, I would rather just fly to Bermuda. There is so much to do there and it truly is breathtakingly beautiful. I am really disappointed with NCL. We hadn’t taken a cruise in a long time and we had such great experiences on the older ships. Our last cruise was on the Star and we really loved it. I am really disappointed that this cruise line is losing its quality and design over the money-making schemes and tactics……especially with how much they tried to jam the new Bliss ship down your throat.

Bermuda- I had read a lot of reviews prior to my cruise and we decided to do our own thing and booked the 2-day ferry/ bus card. Only to find out that NCL has its own ferry that runs to St. Georges for free. Also- the taxi cabs and drivers will take you everywhere and it really isn’t that expensive. Honestly for the time spent in Bermuda, I would recommend not getting the 2-day pass. Its $31 each. And if you want to go to Hamilton the ferry is $5 pp each way. At the end, it probably costs the same. But the buses are crowded and not ac’d. I guess I’m just annoyed I didn’t read anywhere NCL had its own ferry. Oh well.

Bermuda Beaches: oh my god. They are amazing. We took ferry to Hamilton/ bus to Horseshoe bay- it’s kinda crowded. But beautiful. So, we walked down the beach (east???) and hugged the rocks to some quieter very scenic beaches. So gorgeous. Then we went to Long Bay Beach and had it to ourselves. We brought our own mask and snorkel and it worked out great. The next day we took ferry to St. Georges and went to Tobacco Bay. Again, gorgeous. I wish we could’ve gone to more beaches. I wanted to go to Coopers beach…but we didn’t really have time. We will go back though!

I disagree with some previous reviews about the service of the workers on the ship. We honestly found everyone to be very polite and always said “hello” or good morning/ have a nice day, etc.……everyone was extremely pleasant and sweet. And with exception to my restaurant reservations getting screwed up…I would’ve had no complaints. But since, no one seemed to care this happened, even though I had printed receipts or could help me or give me a refund for the money I spent upfront- I have a sour taste in my mouth on the overall service. I think that’s BS and it really angered me that no one cared.

Disembarkation: it took a total of 45minutes from the time we walked out of our room and got our ride home. We walked off with our luggage and I feel the flow out went very smoothly through customs. Ps- make sure you have one of those customs forms before getting off the ship. 1 needed per group. Why don’t they hand them out on the ship the night before? Or leave them in your room? Seriously? Keep a pen on you, you need to fill it out before you get up to the agent or they’ll send you to the back of the line. I swear to god. Didn’t happen to me, but they were threatening it. Less

Published 09/12/17

Cabin review: BA Mid-Ship Balcony Stateroom

Our room: we had a mid-ship balcony on level 14. Room was great. In previous reviews I read the rooms/ balcony were too small. We didn’t find that to be true in our case. our room was great. Plenty of space/ hangers in the closet. There are drawers under the loveseat…. we stored our luggage under the bed. The balcony was I guess a bit narrow, but we were ok with it. there are drawers under the TV console. There’s like an ottoman and if you lift up the lid, it’s a storage box. I thought that was cool. We like to be conservative with our towel replacement so we hung everything to dry and only had our steward change it out on Wednesday. I brought a couple extra hangers so we could hang our bathing suits up to dry. I also brought towel clips for the pool/ beaches. One complaint, even though I’m a light sleeper…. deck 14 mid-ship is right below the market-place/ pool area……. oh god, the running around- moving of deck chairs goes on all day and night. I thankfully brought a sleep/ wave machine to drown out noise in general. And I could still hear the stomping above us. If you’re a light sleeper do not book a room on deck 14 (anywhere). Book something on deck 13. It’s all rooms above you. And carpet.

Read All Mid-Ship Balcony Stateroom (BA) Reviews >>