3. Norwegian Breakaway
We chose Norwegian after a friend recommended it as a higher end cruise from Royal Caribbean, who we have cruised on before. The boarding process was awful. We waited 2 hours in line, with no water or snacks for no apparent reason. Fortunately our room was ready when we finally got on the ship, we dropped off our stuff and went to eat. The buffet on Deck 15 was a zoo, needless to say. Our bags arrived in spurts, with the final bag arriving just prior to 8pm, even though we had put them all on the cart together. The cruise itself was very nice. The crew members were all incredibly friendly and all greeted us every time they saw us. Our steward was wonderful and kept the room spotless. I had read reviews, so i understood the process of putting a room key in the slot by the bathroom to turn on the lights. If you go to the customer relations area on Deck 6, they will give you an extra card to use in the slot so you don't have to use your room key. The card operates a light outside the room to let the steward know if you are there. Card in the slot, white light on. There are also switches for "Do Not Disturb" and "Make Up Room". Not sure if that was exactly what it said, but you get the gist. The food was all good at the restaurants. Savor and Taste provided the same menu, but allowed you to sit at a table with only your party. That was very nice for my husband an I since it was our 20th anniversary and we didn't really want to sit with strangers. The buffet was always a bit crazy. The people eating there did not hesitate to jump in line, push me out of the way and just plain......be rude. Our 3 specialty restaurants we chose were Tapanyaki (sp), Ocean Blue and Moderno. All were really great. We had the most fun at Tapanyaki as it was the Japanese Steak house style where they cook in front of you. Ocean Blue was the seafood restaurant and the food was wonderful. Moderno was a Brazilian steakhouse where they just keep bringing meat until you just can't take it anymore. In Bermuda, we did not do any of the ship excursions. We opted to just go off on our own. The ONLY excursion we did was actually ON the ship! We took the behind the scenes tour to see what it took to keep a floating hotel working. It was fantastic! We went behind the scenes in the theaters, food prep including meat prep and freezers, laundry, trash area, and so much more. I know this isn't for everyone, but if you are fascinated with what it takes to operate such a huge scale operation, you will be enthralled. Bring closed toe shoes if interested and book early. They only take 12 folks on this tour, on the Saturday before you dock. One big negative was the medical center. They were only open 4 hours per day. How ridiculous is that? From like 10am-12pm and 4pm-6pm. I'd like to know where the nurse and doctor were the rest of the time. We had some really rough days on this cruise and I was hoping to see if they had scopolomine (sp). My husband found out later that they did not. Luckily I had a RX for motion sickness meds and took them. Overall, we had a wonderful time. The ship is very clean. Crew is very friendly. The public restrooms (at least the ladies rooms) were a bit stinky with the smell of urine. Sorry for TMI, but it's very difficult to enter a restroom that smells that way. The stateroom we stayed in was immaculate with TONS of storage. I don't think you will be disappointed.

First Timers on Norwegian

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by Judgegirl

• Sail Date: August 2017
  • Destination: Bermuda
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony

Judgegirl’s Full Rating Summary

Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MA 11828
Cabin was always kept spotless. The steward was very attentive.
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins