3. AmaCerto
This review is overdue, but family issues made writing and posting it earlier all but impossible. We chose this cruise because my mother wanted to see the tulips again. The ship departed and returned to Amsterdam which was very convenient from a flights standpoint. From the first point of embarkation the service was stellar. Bags delivered promptly to the room. Smiles and help from all members of the crew. My mother has mobility issues and uses a scooter to get around. When we first started considering this cruise, I called AMA Waterways. The woman on the phone recommended the best cabins for someone who could not navigate the stairs well. This help in selecting the cabin proved invaluable. The crew could not have been more helpful. Each and every time Mom wanted to go somewhere on the ship there was a crew member to help. The rooms are small but take very good advantage of space. Unlike ocean cruises, you really don't spend much time in the rooms. You are off the ship much more and there are no sea days. The steward always kept the rooms clean and was always there to offer assistance when needed. The food is remarkably good. Both my mother and I are gluten free (Celiac disease) and the kitchen and wait staff was very accommodating. They even had special gluten free areas for food in the dining room at breakfast and lunch and kept GF snacks at the bar separate from the other snacks. Dinners were always a treat and the specialty dining room was wonderful. The servers were always friendly and kind. The included wines are good, not great, but I don't expect a Premier Cru to be included with dinner. The main bar is the center of activity. Bar prices are quite reasonable when compared to ocean cruises. I found them to be on par with or even lower than bar prices in my home town of SF. Our bartender was wonderful. The ports visited were all wonderful. I only wish we had more time in each of them. Ghent was a particular favorite but 4 hours was not nearly enough time. I would have liked more time in each port. The river views are nothing to write home about. Mostly industrial. Excursions were somewhat tedious. The earpiece is annoying. The information on the excursions we went on was good but I only chose a couple of them. In most ports I preferred to explore on my own. Fellow guests were mostly active 50-somethings. Perfect for me. Super friendly, unpretentious and well traveled. We always had something to talk about. The sundeck and outdoor areas on the ship went pretty much unused by everyone. It was too cold. They looked nice though and would have been a great place to enjoy a beverage if it had been warmer. Many people used the jogging/walking track on the sundeck. The WiFi worked pretty well. They don't allow you to stream videos and such, but checking email and reading newspapers online was never a problem. Don't know about posting pictures to social media as I don't do that when I am away from home. The only thing I thought needed a lot of improvement was the spa. I did not have time to get a haircut before leaving for this trip so I booked an appointment at the salon. I don't think the lady there had cut hair in years. She did a fairly poor job. Luckily for me, I wear my hair on the longish side and could pull it back to hide the poor cut. Hair grows, so it's not live ending but I would not recommend anyone go to the spa for hair. I would highly recommend AMA Waterways to anyone looking at a river cruise.

Unbelievable Crew and Service

AmaCerto Cruise Review by CookGirl

• Sail Date: April 2017
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Stateroom with French balcony and outside balcony

The river views are nothing to write home about. Mostly industrial.

I would highly recommend AMA Waterways to anyone looking at a river cruise.
CookGirl’s Full Rating Summary
Get AmaWaterways AmaCerto price drops

Stateroom with French balcony and outside balcony
Cabin BB 202
Very clean and well appointed. Smaller than an ocean cruise cabin, but you aren't in it as much so it doesn't really matter.
Cello Deck Balcony Cabins