3. Ruby Princess
I did so much research on this site before my cruise, that I absolutely want to contribute. This was my first cruise on Princess, only second cruise overall. I was surprised that most of the time it did not feel like a sold out ship of 3000 passengers. Unless you wanted to see a show in the theater or use the pool loungers, that is! Our ship left 12 hours late, in between storms, so no sail away party but we still made it to PV on time. The water was pretty choppy on all 3 sea days, quite chilly the first 2 days leaving LA. When the sun finally came out on Day 2 and the temp rose above 60, there wasn't a poolside lower to be had! It felt good to soak up some sun. Bring Dramamine, just in case. I didn't need it til the last day. Food was decent, nothing to write home about; the buffet served basically the same thing every day for the week. Tried the Crown Grill, the ribeye was excellent, as was the service. Tried the MDR Michaelangelo once, be prepared for a 2-hour ordeal....but since there was no extra charge I can't complain too much about entrees arriving before appetizers ;) The beds were super comfy, and the coffee was surprisingly delicious. The entertainment shows felt like high school productions but Cruise Directors Angela and Mark were hilarious! Whether speaking to a full theater or a group of folks playing trivia games or singing songs from the Grease soundtrack, they were both enthusiastic and witty. I thoroughly enjoyed Movies Under The Stars, on the nights it was warm enough to sit through the movie. The waitstaff was always pleasant, and they sure put up with a lot. Our room steward was basically nonexistent. We saw him maybe 5 times total all week, and our room was not vacuumed or dusted. Our towels were replaced occasionally; one time he brought us only 1 clean towel (2 people). I wonder if changing the way gratuities are paid has changed the level of service. This being my first cruise in 10 years, I can't tell.

Good time despite stormy swells

Ruby Princess Cruise Review by shanghaill2k1

• Sail Date: January 2017
  • Destination: Mexican Riviera
  • Cabin Type: Interior

The beds were super comfy, and the coffee was surprisingly delicious.

shanghaill2k1’s Full Rating Summary
Get Ruby Princess price drops

Interior
Cabin IF C521
No sound from any neighbors, and it only took a night to get used to the creaking and crackling in the ceiling as the ship flexed in the water. The last day and night there was a high pitched whine that was louder near the front door (but still audible from the beds). Had it happened earlier in the cruise we might have called about it, but since was the last day we just ignored it. Beds were comfy, and this location is very convenient to the mid ship elevators. Close enough to dash "downstairs" from poolside to use the bathroom!
Lido Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Cabo San Lucas
    Not really much time to do an excursion here; by the time you get the tender over to shore you have about 4 hours to explore. We sought out the info booth (you have to wade through the water taxi drivers trying to take you to Los Arcos) and asked where the locals went to enjoy the beach....after circling the naval station (to the L when you get off the tenders) we walked to a Marine Reserve beach that had beautiful sand and was so clean. The water was beautiful and there was a swimming area designated, although it was too cold to swim when we were there. I at least got my feet in!
    After relaxing at the beach, we made our way to Senor Frogs and gave in to the tourist trade, with generic chips and salsa, really good sangrias and margaritas, and lots of entertainment by the waitstaff there. Plus there's a bathroom (none on the beach). They claimed their wifi wasn't working, so we spent our last hour awaiting the tender line to go down at Agave, where we had delicious frappucinos and free wifi. Nice, relaxing day.
    View All 1,337 Cabo San Lucas Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cabo San Lucas Cruise Port Review
  • Los Angeles
    We flew in and boarded the ship. Took Big Blue shuttle to the airport.
    View All 528 Los Angeles Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Los Angeles Cruise Port Review
  • Mazatlan
    We wandered on our own in this port. I enjoyed the somewhat strenuous hike to the top of El Faro, in spite of the fact you can smell the sewage treatment plant next door as soon as you step on the trail. The Mercado was alive with sights and sounds, from parrots roosting above the bakery to blocks and blocks of souvenir clothing (and merchants hawking their wares incessantly). We had lunch at Pedro and Lola's in Plazuela Merchado but their fish tacos were not what we expected. I thought we would get chunks of white fish, grilled or fried, with slaw and crema....what came instead looked like cat food (brown chunks in a weird gravy) and tasted very much like the tuna it was. Their chips and salsa were good though, and there is free WiFi
    View All 620 Mazatlan Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Mazatlan Cruise Port Review
  • Puerto Vallarta
    Our group of 6 enjoyed an amazing day with Cervando from Tours by Locals. For half of what ship excursions cost, we traveled in an air conditioned van up through the mountains to San Sebastián del Oeste. Cervando had a cooler full of cold drinks for us, and made several stops along the 90-minute drive up into the mountains. It was a full day tour, and worth every penny!

Along the way we visited Las Palmas and had fresh fruit popsicles, a small private coffee plantation (free samples!), a tequila distillery (free samples!), and an outdoor restaurant where we snacked on handmade tortillas with guacamole and salsa. Once in San Sebastián, we explored the town, visited the silversmith, the cathedral, and had a delicious mixed plate lunch at the town restaurant. Best chile relleno I've ever had!

All along the way, Cervando provided an engaging and informed history of the regions as we passed through, along with personal stories of his own experiences in this land he loves. His English is almost flawless, and his passion for teaching travelers about his homeland is inspiring. I wish Cervando could have been our guide for the other ports as well :)
    View All 13,546 Puerto Vallarta Cruise Port Reviews