3. Navigator of the Seas
I have been on the sister ship Splendor and now this one...the design is to turn everything inwards to a four story strip mall where everyone congregates because its too cold or wet or both to be on deck. This makes the ship seem very crowded as normally nearly half the passengers would be outside. This makes the Windjammer buffet crowed as people don't want to leave because there is no place to go. My stateroom was beginning to look worn....something was wrong with the water line to the toilets and all this black stuff stained the inside of the toilet and looked dreadful...the T.V. was limited with the same two or three films endlessly repeating and then they would show them in the theatre...how much is a DVD? I've done this crossing twice before on Celebrity and they have an indoor pool...big help...land robes in all the staterooms so you don't freeze getting out of the hot tub...no such luck on Royal. The specialty restaurants on Navigator were fantastic....and the 5 specialty restaurant deal is great value....I would not recommend the Mexican but all the others were fantastic... If you want to stay connected at sea this is the MOST EXPENSIVE program ever. $13. for 24 consecutive hours....Even if your only on line for half an hour....you pay for 24 every day. If you want to check in on line for your flight .... you must buy 24 hours of time even if your only on like 15 minutes...Everyone was angry because you couldn't sign out and save and save your time. On Celebrity for 14 nights I think I payed a flat rate of $75. for the entire trip. YOU MUST GO THROUGH IMMIGRATION at Boston...You stand in a line that is the entire length of the ship and then turns back a third of the way....from joining the line to seeing the officer is THREE HOURS of standing on concrete...even elderly people in their 80 were half dead in this line. You think its not the cruise ships fault well...partly because historically Canadians always go through the U.S. customs line but NOT on Celebrity or Royal (same cruise line) Canadians go through with Europeans who have to have visa's and forms which Canadians don't require but you can't tell Celebrity or Royal that...they keep telling you to go on line and get a visa which you can't get because there is no Canada in the drop down. Royal could have helped by putting the immigration forms in our stateroom the night before but NO...we were given the while standing in line without a pen and when you borrowed you were trying to fill out a floppy form standing up...the people tasked with giving out the forms (White or Green) didn't bother to read who they were for and so had no clue as to who needed which form. I was given white and after three hours lining up and my ankles swollen twice the size...the office looked at my passport and said "Your Canadian" and he threw the form away and stamped my passport...Meantime several officers assigned for Americans sat doing nothing because half the Americans didn't turn up...if they had....then those officers could have switched over to the thousands of people in the line...RULE - all Americans MUST go through Immigration between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m. or they will have to line up with the rest of the passengers....I bet that will get them out of the coffee shop. We had cold weather and lots of rain...so we ate too much....the stage shows were O.K. but as usual it is a competition to see who can scream into the mike the loudest and the majority of music was TODAY POP and the passengers were 55 plus and getting up walking out. At least it wasn't as loud as Celebrity which has a deafening sound system even with both my hearing aids out it was too loud. If your doing the transatlantic in Nov. choose a ship with an indoor pool so there more room to spread out...also the Celebrity buffet is far better. I only used the Navigator dining room for one breakfast and my lightly poached eggs were cooked solid and cold. So after that it was the buffet where the eggs were made for you but the bacon was good bacon but overcooked and dripping in grease... Because of immigration I don't think I will do this next year...I'm 78 and very arthritic and my ankles were so swollen I couldn't even go ashore...not that there was any time...I got out of the line at 1 p.m. and we had to be back on board by 3:30 p.m. so what's the point even if I could walk....too little time to do anything in the shops or Quincy Square. This ship needs some renovation and a T.V. plan like Celebrity and they have got to apply themselves to fixing the immigration in Boston problem.

NOT THE RIGHT SHIP FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC CROSSING

Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by DIDISEVEN

DIDISEVEN’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas price drops

Fabric sofa not a good idea...it was not clean from people sitting on it NUDE and leaving tracks...I always spread a town on the upholstery. T.V. poor selection, poor reception and everything devoted to selling us something. Bed was only O.K. not firm enough and a bit saggy. Relaxing and reading e-mails out of the question...too expensive. Plenty of hot water but sometimes slow arriving. Toilet stained BLACK and even I tried to scrub it clean but not a chance....If the rubber components are disintegrating then I worry about the other water on board. Balcony not worth paying for as its too cold to even go outside...Oceanview better on north Atlantic crossing.
  Navigator of the Seas Deck Plans