3. Carnival Paradise
I chose this cruise mostly for its timing, and for its cost. The description of the ship made it sound fine. I was already headed to Tampa for a charter cruise on another line, the following week, and wanted a longer ship board experience. The cost was reasonable. I had heard many raves about Carnival, none of which seemed true on this ship. I had an inside ADA room. When I arrived, there was a giant fan drying the floor. The steward was very apologetic, and guest services even gave me onboard credit for the inconvenience. Wow, I was impressed. I had not complained and as it was a new ship for me I wanted to be out exploring anyway. The door opened nice and wide, and was held open by a magnet on the bathroom door. this worked well. Though sometimes was hard to release and close. As I use canes, and not a wheel chair, this is only an observation, not a necessity for me. It was the smallest room, I have ever had, ADA or not. It was perfectly adequate for one, or even two I'm sure. (If I hadn't read that Carnival had very large interior rooms, i would not consider it worth remarking). The shower head would not stay in its bracket and actually came off and apart twice "attacking me." The bathroom has plenty of storage space including a huge medicine cabinet, The television was a nice flat screen. Though I was very disappointed not to have MSNBC. I thought that was a standard international station. I was wrong. I had to order the distilled water, for my cpap machine, from room service so it cost about $4, I am accustomed to it being in my room when i arrive, and a courtesy, not a charge. The muster drill was one of the least tedious i have attended. Perhaps it was just the stage presence of our group leader, but he made it not so bad at all. The ship itself was a maze. There was no outside promenade deck to walk around the circumference of the ship. There were short sections where one could go out, and a beautiful bow deck that I found once. There is both a USA bar and an American bar, just to add confusion. The ship activities such as trivia, were held at the USA bar which is right next to the Casino, and therefor smokey. This meant I couldn't participate in those activities. I signed up for late dinner, believing that meant: early show, late dinner. In fact it meant, late dinner even later show. I was seated at a table for 12. The first night there were four of us. A couple sat at the other end, another solo traveler and myself. We never saw the other two people again. I did enjoy the company of the other person at the table. She finally convinced the waiters to allow her friend and the friend's son to join us, and then their two table mates joined us for the final night. The wait staff was lovely. They definitely were attentive. The food was nothing to write home about. Another area in which i was disappointed having read such rave reviews of Carnival's food. Other food areas were even worse in my opinion. There was not a great variety. Quite a few fried foods it seemed. The pizza was not up to this former New Yorker's standards. The crust was good, but the sauce was too sweet for a good pizza. Also as the area was clustered, no one seemed to be around to help with a tray. (there were no trays). I purchased the soft drink package (bottomless bubbles) which included certain sodas and fruit juices. There are only two soda flavors I like: Ginger Beer (which was not included) and Root Beer, which was included. I thought I would be fine. The problem was they ran out of root beer on day 2. When I asked if they would be getting more at our port, they said not until we returned to Tampa.. (Well, the on board credit for the room i guess paid for the soda package that was now worthless to me). I had thought the "small pool" would be the same as other cruise ships small pools. No this one had been blocked off so that 3/4 of it was part of the water slide. What was left was barely enough to bother to get wet in. . . and no one did when I was there. As I generally get up early to swim during a cruise, i was very disappointed. The evening shows in the theater were all musical reviews One was very good, the others were mediocre, and there simply was no show on Thursday (day four) night. There were comic shows around the ship in the early evening and later at night. Some were good, some not so good. All were doing their best for the crowd. The serenity area was very nice. It had two hot tubs and towel distributer. The towels were gold and fluffy. A very nice calm area. There were also chairs for lounging or reading. This space was out of doors, though somewhat protected. We had quite a bit of rain on this cruise, so I noticed. The crew were great. Though they may have been overstretched a bit. I am sure alternating between four and five day cruises must take its toll on people. Overall, I will give Carnival another chance, on a larger ship I guess. (though I thought i liked the smaller ships).

Five Days on the Carnival Paradise

Carnival Paradise Cruise Review by skipperanne

skipperanne’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Paradise price drops

Interior
Cabin 4E E56
The cabin was fine. It was small, especially small for an ADA cabin, but I found enough space to store things. The steward was great.
Empress Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins