3. Disney Magic
This was my family's first Disney Cruise. (2 kids - 10 & 8 year old) We sailed from New York's Manhattan Cruise Terminal (parked our car there - no problem, easy and convenient. It was $200 for the 5 nights). Check in was easy. We were on board within one hour of our scheduled check-in time and immediately had lunch at Cabanas, then started exploring the ship until the sail away party started. Our state room was 2508 (a porthole room on deck 2 forward) and it was perfect for us. The kids had bunk beds and my wife and I had a queen size bed. The stateroom was well appointed, our hostess was awesome making the room perfect each morning and again at turn down. The split toilet rooms is such a great idea. My only complaint on this particular room is with it being forward, you really feel the rocking when the ship books full speed in the evening. Nobody got sick but I did start to feel a little uneasy one night but 20 minutes on deck 4 getting some fresh air helped clear that up. Our port adventures were set up through DCL and were great. We did the St. Martin / Bay of Fundy expedition at St. John's and the Peggy's Cove / Titanic Cemetery at Halifax - Both were great and well organized. The bus ride for both was comfortable and the tour guides were pleasant and well informed. We lucked out with Sunny mid 50 to 60 degree days. We started with sweat shirts which ended up around our waist later in the day. All the restaurants were outstanding. The rotational dining is such a great idea and the servers really get to know you and your service is personalized more and more each night. Our assistant server "Jasna" was wonderful with us and the kids - they absolutely loved her and she really made our dining experience memoriable. I couldn't tell you which restaurant was best, they're all great and the menus change each night. Disney also throws in surprises at several dinners by tying back to that nights show or to the theme of the restaurant. The shows, as you can imagine, were awesome. Disney puts on a great show, having already seen Lion King and Aladdin on Broadway, these shows were of that quality! Make sure you get there early (about 20 minutes or so) to get the best seat - especially for "Tangled" and "Dreams". Also in case you didn't know, the ship also has a full size movie theater, we got to see Pete's Dragon and had planned to see more movies but just never got to them with so much to do. Each night they pass out a Navigator schedule with all the next days events - be sure to look it over and plan out your next day. This trip was relaxing for us so we chose to let many events slip by but you can really jam pack your day if you want to! Also you've probably heard of the DCL navigator App - be sure to get it, it is a real BEAUTY! I loaded in on both our cell phones but also on an old iPhone that I had which was smaller (remember when cell phones where small??) ended up using the smaller one. My daughter was BRAVE enough to try out the pool, the water was heated but the northerly breeze while the ship was moving made the getting out a little painful. Although they do have blankets as well as towels on the deck. The special celebrations were very cool - they know how to get the crowd moving and having fun, and let's not forget about fireworks on the seas during the Pirate's Deck Party. How cool is that? Our Pirate Party took place on our way from St. John's to Halifax and it was cold. The DCL staff was walking around handing out blankets - a very nice DCL touch! Oh yeah and on top of everything else this sailing was "Halloween on the High Seas" - something we didn't even know existed when we booked this trip. It was Awesome! Kids got to dress up like pirates twice, did trick or treating on the boat, and the Pumpkin Tree events were cool. Each night they put on a special event at the Pumpkin Tree as it changed from night to night. TIPS: Do bring a highlighter to flag the MUST-DO's on the navigator guides they pass out each night at room turndown. This way you won't miss anything. Do bring your cell phone pre-loaded with the DCL Navigator app. Do bring a multi port charger to charge multiple devices at once. There really is only one spare outlet at the desk in your room. I had a nifty one that lets me charge 6 devices at once. Don't miss any of the big shows in The Walt Disney Theater Do get to the big shows early if you want to sit up front. (otherwise it's pretty easy to find a seat anywhere else). Do visit Daisy's Delites (sp??) for a light lunch - The sandwiches are absolutely delicious. There was rarely a line and you can fill your pockets with oranges and bananas without even getting in line! Do bring some extra cash for leaving an extra tip for those that do a spectacular job. (your normal gratuity will be covered for the main services but we had at least two people that deserved more!) We did bring larger cups for bringing drinks to our room. (the fountain machines are on deck 9) but honestly we didn't really need them. On most nights they had large paper cups with lids that you could use, although if you're a coffee drinker you might want to still bring your own cups. Oh yeah Coffee (in my honest opinion) not so good, but I've had worse. I think they use an instant type of coffee, just a little weak for me. PLEASE Do leave your big iPads at home or in the room. They make AWEFUL cameras, and I can't begin to tell you how many people were using them as cameras. (on top of the large size, most also have a cover making them double the size.) Nothing worse than trying to see the show and having a big block of air space consumed by an iPad. People really? We highly recommend the Disney Magic to everyone, with and without kids - we saw plenty of both on this trip. We even left a deposit as a place holder for a future cruise. You get 10% off of and some DCL onboard credit for a future cruise taken within 2 years - be sure to stop by the Vacations Planning Desk (at the Atrium - Deck 4 I think?)

Disney Magic - Canada New England Cruise - A Magical Must-Do.

Disney Magic Cruise Review by Inspectorman74

TIPS:

Do bring your cell phone pre-loaded with the DCL Navigator app.

Don't miss any of the big shows in The Walt Disney Theater

Inspectorman74’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 7 to 9
Ages 10 to 12

Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom
Cabin 09C 2508
Deck 2 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins

• Peggy's Cove
    This trip was actually Peggy's Cove and the Titanic Cemetery visit. Our driver and tour guide were great. Very informative and capturing. The ride was scenic we got to learn about Halifax history, spend some nice picture taking time at Peggy's Cove (kids loved the rock climbing). The Titanic cemetery visit was pretty cool, we got to learn about many of the people that lost their lives and the very interesting lives that they lived. It was quite humbling to be there with that much history and so much sorrow. Highly recommend this tour!
    View All 159 Peggy's Cove Reviews
  • City Tour, Bay of Fundy, and St. Martin
    Great trip. The tour guide and driver were spectacular. Very informative and very friendly. The stops were neat, not too long and not too short. This trip included a lite lunch of seafood chowder (or chicken & fries for the land-lubbers) - Delicious. You also got to explore the rocky beach fore "friendship rocks". If you have kids be sure to check their pockets, we came home about 25 pounds heavier. You learn a lot about the city and the bus ride is very scenic!
    View All 33 City Tour, Bay of Fundy, and St. Martin Reviews